Question: How common is it that journals reject submitted manuscripts purely
because the paper is already available as a preprint in some repository?

At our institution (UiT The Arctic University of Norway), master students'
supervisors very often advice their students not to make their thesis available
in our IR, because they intend to rewrite it into one or more journal
article(s). At the time of finished thesis, they do not know where the paper
version will be submitted. And they are afraid that having the thesis openly
available in our IR will severely limit their choice of journals to submit to.

I was attending the Emtacl15-conference in Trondheim last week, and there I
heard about the effort to build a "preprint culture" at the Erasmus University
in Rotterdam. And in response to my question the presenter said that there is
no problem with journals not accepting manuscripts already freely available in
their IR.

So, to all our students and their supervisors, can we comfort them and say that
there is no need to hold the theses back from our IR, and that they need not
fear rejection? (The same fear is also common among doctoral students who often
submit PhD theses that include papers not yet submitted to a journal.)

This matter, whether an available preprint is acceptable or not for the journal
editors, is not an information you find in Sherpa/RoMEO. In Sherpa/RoMEO you
find what you may do with your pre- and postprint if and after it is accepted
by the journal.

Grateful for views on this.

Yours,
Leif Longva