The cost of properly and robustly preparing articles for preservation,
archiving, machine-reading (TDM) etc. is more essential in my view, given the
mess many authors (and, it has to be said, many publishers) make of that. That
cost is but a fraction of the cost of arranging peer review by publishers.
Prepublication peer review can perfectly well be arranged by academics
themselves. See this:
http://blog.scienceopen.com/2015/04/welcome-jan-velterop-peer-review-by-endorsement/

Jan Velterop

Sent from Jan Velterop's iPhone. Please excuse for brevity and typos.