---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian Simboli <b...@lehigh.edu>
Date: Thu, May 21, 2015 at 9:53 PM
Subject: Request for clarifications from Elsevier
To: liblice...@gmail.com, a.w...@elsevier.com, amscifo...@gmail.com

Dr. Wise,

So that I better understand the emerging controversy about Elsevier's new
archiving policies, can you publicly address the following questions?

1.

Is this correct?

Elsevier no longer allows full public access immediately to an accepted
manuscript. It allows on-campus ("private") institutional repository
access, until the embargo period is up. This new policy applies
retrospectively, which is to say, institutions can be asked to take down
articles that were posted according to the old policies, with some possible
negotiable wiggle time to accommodate transitions.

2.

is Stevan Harnad correct, or not correct, in claiming in the combox at

http://www.elsevier.com/connect/coar-recting-the-record

that

"Since 2004 Elsevier had endorsed authors providing free immediate
(un-embargoed) access (“Green OA”) by self-archiving in their institutional
repositories."

and in implying that a shift in this policy began to evidence itself in
2012?
 (I assume here that he means, in the sentence above, self-archiving of the
accepted manuscript.

3.

Elsevier construes *embargoed* open access as green archiving?

Thanks

Regards,
Brian Simboli

--