Thanks Helene,

Yes you are not the first to be confused which was which because I put
the terms in a different order.

Gold open access is 'born' open access - because it is published open in
an open access journal (with or without a cost), or in a hybrid journal
where the remainder of the journal remains under subscription (always
incurs a cost). There are many, many times that the terms 'gold open
access' has been taken to mean 'pay for open access'. Publishers of
course have done little to dissuade this impression.

Green open access is 'secondary' open access because it is published in
a traditional manner (usually a susbcription journal) and a copy of the
work is placed in a repository - institutional or subject.

I hope that is a bit clearer. I agree it would not be easy to change. But we
all used to call things preprints and postprints. That really made no sense
because post-prints were not yet printed. We do not use those terms any more,
not in the UK anyway. We use the terms Submitted Manuscript, Author's Accepted
Manuscript (AAM) and Version of Record (VoR).

Regards,

Danny