Dear Stevan and all

I am very engaged by the GOAL open access list and I find reading it
informing, educating, stimulating, and inspiring by turn. The debate it
engenders is laudable.

But I have never posted to the list. May I say I thought this comment
below was a rather inappropriate way to treat someone who is new to the
list and to the debate and who wishes to engage with it.

Please, can we treat people with respect in responding to the comments
they make, and avoid making sarcastic comments which I feel are unhelpful.
The debate will be richer and hopefully better informed by having a
welcoming and inclusive approach. Not everyone is as knowledgeable about
the history of open access or the issues as Stevan - surely we would do
better to change that by fostering a mutually supportive approach?

Response such as this one below, are one of the reasons I read the list
but am discouraged from posting to it. On this occasion I have been
tempted out of my shell!

Best wishes,
Lucie

Lucie Burgess
Associate Director for Digital Libraries
Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford
Clarendon Building, Broad Street, Oxford
Senior Research Fellow, Hertford College
Tel: +44 (0)1865 277104
+44 (0)7725 842619
Twitter @LucieCBurgess
LinkedIn LucieCBurgess