Dear Stevan and all,

Thanks for the links. I had read some of them.

Nevertheless,
http://legacy.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2008/08/greengold-oa-and-gratislibre-oa.html
 is what Peter Suber says,
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/993-.html is what you say,
and http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/1003-html is yours as
well. I of course recognize your expertise in this field, but these statements
are not "official" to me. Others, as Jeffrey Bell, wrote "Gold = free to
reader, author pays article processing charge; Platinum = free to reader, free
to author"
(http://listserv.crl.edu/wa.exe?A2=ind1304&L=LIBLICENSE-L&F=&S=&P=77120, linked
by yourself in one of your articles mentioned).

Some LAC authors use "Platinum OA" and "Commercial OA" (author pays) as
sub-types of OA, and I don't see why they should be wrong. It's just a way to
call it.  What would you call it? Subsidized OA? OA without APCs? (just asking)

You wrote "There is no Platinum OA. OA is about access, not about funding
mechanisms". Ok, but, as I wrote before, I think OA was not meant to be only
"gratis". Officialy (BBB) it was meant to be free of access + free to use. It's
not open if it's not "libre". The types "gratis" and "libre" came after,
introduced by some authors (Suber, at least). So Platinum has been used by
others. Scientists make the names. All scientists by all over the world.

I don't think it is a banal discussion only on names. It's about points of
view. With all due respect, I think that you and others are using a Western
point of view, when OA should be treated through a universal point of view.
"Platinum OA" is very important in LAC, not that important in Western
countries, and that's why it is refused by Western authors.

That's what I think.

Thanks for your time.

With kind regards,

Miguel Navas-Fernández
PhD Researcher at Universitat de Barcelona
Member of Acceso Abierto research group
Associate Editor of DOAJ
ORCID Linkedin Twitter