As of today, the interpretation of CC licenses on Elsevier's web page notes
only two differences between CC-BY and CC-BY-NC-ND. The right to sell or re-use
for commercial purposes is Yes for CC-BY and No for CC-BY-NC-ND. The right to
translate is Yes for CC-BY and Yes - for private use only and not for
distribution.

Text and data mine, and Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other
works, are both Yes for CC-BY-NC-ND.

From:
https://www.elsevier.com/about/company-information/policies/open-access-licenses

Comments:

This is an interesting and generally positive development from Elsevier. Note
that this is not the full picture. The CC license terms and conditions are
found in the Creative Commons legal code, unless Elsevier has another way of
granting additional specific rights. Is this the case? Let's look at the
Elsevier author sample author agreement for CC-BY. Excerpts:

"License of publishing rights

I hereby grant to the Journal an exclusive publishing and distribution license
in the manuscript identified above and any tables, illustrations or other
material submitted for publication as part of the manuscript (the “Article”) in
all forms and media (whether now known or later developed), throughout the
world, in all languages, for the full term of copyright, effective when the
Article is accepted for publication. This license includes the right to enforce
the rights granted by this license against third parties and to sublicense such
rights.

Under Scholarly Communication Rights: As the author of the Article, I
understand that I shall have the same rights to reuse the Article as those
allowed to third party users (and the Journal) of the Article under the CC-BY
License.

Under Use Rights: The publisher will apply the Creative Commons Attribution-4.0
International License (CC BY) to the Article where it publishes the Article in
the journal on its online platforms on an Open Access basis"

From:
https://www.elsevier.com/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/99668/Sample_-JPLA_CC-BY-4-0.pdf

Comments and questions: this looks to me like a form of author nominal
retention of copyright which is actually a full transfer of rights under
copyright to the publisher. The author's downstream rights are as a third
party. Although this might appear to be an author CC-BY license, I think a
strong argument can be made that this is a publisher CC-BY license. There is
nothing in either the CC license or the author agreement that commits the
publisher to make the work freely available on an ongoing basis.

If authors are using this approach to make their work open access, my advice is
to make use of those third party rights to self-archive your work in both
institutional and disciplinary repositories to maximize the probability that
the work will remain open access.

The Elsevier sample user license for CC-BY-NC-ND makes no commitment to provide
downstream users with text and data mining or re-use rights:
https://www.elsevier.com/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/99669/Sample_-JPLA_CC-BY-NC-ND-4-0.pdf

This is a learning curve for everyone, and this critique is intended to help
note areas that still require work. My own perspective is that no special
permission should be needed for text or data mining (this is just automated
reading; if anyone has copyright laws prohibiting this, fix your copyright
laws). It is not clear to me whether all CC licenses should necessarily grant
permission for re-use of extracts. This can be problematic with respect to
third party works and could have implications for author moral rights. It is
important with any CC licenses for downstream re-users to understand that
people can only grant licenses to their own works. Even in one of the simplest
case scenarios, an extract of one CC-BY work included in another, the
attribution requirement for the extract is different from the attribution for
the downstream work per se.

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison