On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Reckling, Falk <falk.reckl...@fwf.ac.at>
wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>

> a working group of the Open Access Network Austria (OANA) has published 16
> recommendations how to shift the academic publication system in Austria to
> full (Gold) Open Access until 2025, see here:
> http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.34079
>

> We are very thankful if you could share the paper with your communities.
>

> Feedback is very welcome !
>

> In addition to that and as the first public funding agency, the Austrian
> Science Fund (FWF) now supports the Open Library of Humanities (OLH):
> https://about.openlibhums.org/2015/11/30/austrian-science-fund-fwf-commits-to-four-years-of-funding-for-olh/

Bravo! And now here are the 16 OANA recommendations re-ordered by order of
priority so that they will actually work! -- SH

*(10) [MANDATE AND] Support self-archiving*

>From 2016 onward, until complete conversion to Open Access publication
(Gold Open Access),

*(9) Registration of repositories*

By 2018, all research organisations should have publicly accessible and
internationally registered repositories.

*(15) Monitoring during implementation*

A target of 80% (Green and Gold Access) of the total publication output
should be achieved by 2020 and 100% Gold Open Access should be achieved by
2025 for all academic publications in Austria. This should be accompanied
by a monitoring process of the BMWFW (Federal Ministry of Science, Research
and Economy).

*(1) Introduce Open Access policy*

By 2017, all research and funding organisations financed by public sources
should officially adopt and implement their own Open Access Policy and sign
the Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and
Humanities. From 2020 onward, the Open Access Policy should be obligatory
for all members of the institutions.

*(2) Create cost transparency*

>From 2016 to 2018, research and funding organisations should provide a
comprehensive and transparent overview of the costs of the current
publication system. On this basis, a permanent group of experts should be
established. One of their tasks will be to coordinate the research and
funding organisations by monitoring the costs of publication.

*(3) Reorganise publishing contracts*

(a) From 2016 onward, license agreements with publishers should be
concluded in a manner that the research publications of authors from
Austria are automatically published Open Access. (b) All contracts from
2020 onward should include this clause. (c) Contracts and prices should be
made public. (d) In their negotiations with publishers, the Austrian
Academic Library Consortium (KEMÖ) should be supported by the executives of
the research organisations.

*(4) Introduce publication funds*

By 2018, all research and funding organisations should establish
transparent publication funds to cover author fees for Open Access.

*(5) Reorganise publication venues*

When scholarly publication venues are funded by public resources, the
funding conditions should be such that the publication venues can be
transformed to Open Access at the latest from 2020 onward.

*(6) Merging the publication infrastructure*

Until 2020, research policy-makers should provide financial incentives
which, by pooling resources, will permit the establishment of
inter-institutional publication structures for publishing high-quality
international Open Access venues in Austria.

*(7) Support international cooperation*

>From 2017 onward, all research and funding organisations in Austria should
participate jointly in international initiatives that promote high-quality
non-commercial publication models and infrastructures.

*(8) Provide start-up capital*

Public funds – as start-up capital - should be available to commercial
providers who want to switch to Open Access or plan new start-ups. This
step will enable some providers from Austria to establish themselves on the
international market.

secondary publishing of quality-tested articles should be actively pursued
(Green Open Access).

*(11) Offer training programmes*

>From 2016 onward, all research organisations should prepare and provide
training programmes for Open Access and Open Science.

*(12) Acknowledging Open Access / Open Science*

>From 2018 onward, Open Access and Open Science activities should always be
honoured in the curricula of scholars of all fields, and alternative
evaluation systems should be taken into account.

*(13) Expand the scope of the copyright reform of 2015*

Austrian legislators should modify the copyright law by 2018 so that,
independent of the form and place of publication, authors of scholarly
publications will have the right to place their publication in a repository
and render the original version of their publication freely accessible
after a maximum embargo period of 12 months. Furthermore, large bodies of
data should be made available for scholarly purposes with no restrictions
in terms of search, networking and further use (content mining).

*(14) Opening the inventories*

All publicly funded archives, museums, libraries and statistical offices
should digitise their inventories by 2025, and their collaboration with
research organisations should be supported. Previously digitised
inventories should be rendered accessible to the public for free and
gratuitous use by 2020.

*(16) Set targets for Open Science*
The strategy presented here should be developed into a full-fledged Open
Science strategy from 2017 onward. Its aim should be to provide resources
to those persons who wish to integrate the instruments of Open Science into
their work processes.