On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 7:25 AM, Richard Poynder <richard.poyn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>  However, the way I see it is that as research funders (like Max Planck
> and RCUK), governments and publishers increasingly come to accept the
> inevitability of open access so the way in which it is achieved, and the
> way in which the details (and costs) are negotiated, are likely to become
> increasingly non-transparent (much as Big Deals have always been). And to
> me the invite-only nature of Berlin 12 foreshadows this development.

But none of this need happen if funders and institutions simply mandate
immediate-deposit (effectively and enforceably, as Liege/HEFCE/REF2020
does).

I don't think you are on the right track, Richard, when you object to
deposit mandates as coercive, or contrary to academic freedom -- especially
when the alternative is just a vague "don't make secret deals with
Elsevier."

 I also anticipate that the OA big deals being put in place, and the
> various journal “flipping” arrangements being proposed, will be more to the
> benefit of publishers than to the research community.

You're certainly right about that. And so...?

>  As Keith Jeffery puts it, “We all know why the BOAI principles have been
> progressively de-railed. One explanation given to me at an appropriate
> political level was that the tax-take from commercial publishers was
> greater than the cost of research libraries.” http://bit.ly/1OslVFW.

That's probably simplistic. Which country's tax revenues? OA is a global
matter.

But certainly some bogus financial reckoning and deal is being
confidentially offered by the publisher lobby, and credulously swallowed by
uninformed government reps (e.g., the Finch fiasco in the UK and -- in the
other country with a substantial publisher presence: the Netherlands) whose
only sense is that OA would be a "good thing," but no realistic idea of how
or why..

 The question is: how could the open access have avoided this? What can it
> do right now to mitigate the effects of these developments?

Researchers could have avoided it by providing immediate Green OA.

Absent that, institutions and funders could have avoided it by mandating
Green OA.

And it can still by avoided by institutions and funders mandating Green OA.

Vincent-Lamarre, Philippe, Boivin, Jade, Gargouri, Yassine, Larivière,
Vincent and Harnad, Stevan (2016, in press) Estimating Open Access Mandate
Effectiveness:  The MELIBEA Score.
<http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/370203/> *Journal
of the  Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST)* (in
press) http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/370203/

Swan, Alma; Gargouri, Yassine; Hunt, Megan; & Harnad, Stevan (2015) *Open
Access Policy: Numbers, Analysis, Effectiveness*. *Pasteur4OA Workpackage 3
Report.*http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/375854/

Harnad, Stevan (2015) Open Access: What, Where, When, How and Why. In: *Ethics,
Science, Technology, and Engineering: An International Resource* eds. J.
Britt Holbrook & Carl Mitcham, (2nd edition of* Encyclopedia of Science,
Technology, and Ethics*, Farmington Hills MI: MacMillan Reference)
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/361704/

Harnad, Stevan (2015) Optimizing Open Access Policy. *The Serials Librarian*,
69(2), 133-141 http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/381526/
<http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/381526/>

S.H.