Can I alert this list to an impending review of Australian Copyright law:
'We are seeking your feedback on draft changes designed to simplify and
modernise our copyright laws to make them easier for the disability,
educational, libraries and archives sectors.'

Further (my highlights):

"Consultation Period:  December 23, 2015 15:00 AEDT to February 12, 2016
17:00 AEDT

Currently, libraries, archives and educational institutions face
difficulties in making legitimate use of copyright material because of
outdated, prescriptive and overly complex legislation.

Reforms to the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth) and related regulations are needed
to ensure these institutions and the Australian community can reasonably
access content.

The changes are designed to:

.         Streamline the educational statutory licence provisions, making it
easier and simpler for educational institutions and copyright collecting
societies to agree on licensing arrangements for the copying and
communication of copyright material.

.         Provide simple, clear rules for libraries, archives and key
cultural institutions to make preservation copies of copyright material.

.         Align the terms of protection for unpublished works with those for
published works to provide libraries, archives and other cultural
institutions with greater opportunities to use, and provide public access,
to unpublished works.

.         Ensure that search engines, universities and libraries have 'safe
harbour' protection if they comply with conditions aimed at reducing online
copyright infringement."

Although we are a remote country from Europe and the USA, you can bet that
publishers will be making (or have made) submissions. Open access is facing
a critical test. Can we build in better provisions? Any submissions from
GOAL readers would be welcome. You may need to read the Copyright Act
https://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/C2015C00586.

Please see:
https://www.communications.gov.au/have-your-say/updating-australias-copyrigh
t-laws?utm_content=buffer35444
<https://www.communications.gov.au/have-your-say/updating-australias-copyrig
ht-laws?utm_content=buffer35444&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm
_campaign=buffer>
&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Arthur

Arthur Sale PhD

Emeritus Professor of Computer Science

School of Engineering and ICT | Faculty of Science, Engineering and
Technology

University of Tasmania

Private Bag 87

HOBART TASMANIA 7001

M +61 4 1947 1331

 <http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7261-8035> http://orcid.org/0000-0001-7261-8035

cid:CA66235E-F79F-4ECD-A612-0376BD33B152

CRICOS 00586B