This editorial published recently explaining the basics of copyright and
licensing for OA journal publishers may be of interest to list readers. In
brief, because one must have copyright to waive rights under copyright, it is
important to clarify rights sharing between authors and journals in order to
use CC licenses. Many scholarly authors include works involving third parties,
which limits the rights authors are able to grant. There are advantages and
disadvantages to each of the CC elements. It is not clear that there is a
single licence optimal for every scholarly work. Finally we ask whether a
clearer copy left license outside of Creative Commons could be a better fit for
scholarly works. Creative Commons has done amazing work and produced some very
useful tools, however the licenses cover any type of work under copyright and
may never be optimal for every type of scholarly work.

Morrison, H. and Desautels, L. (2016). Open access, copyright and licensing:
basics for open access publishers. Journal of Orthopaedic Case Reports 6:1.
http://www.jocr.co.in/wp/2016/01/02/2250-0685-360-fulltext/

I would like to thank list readers in advance for any feedback but note that I
will need to set this aside for review over the summer.

best,

Heather Morrison