> "The software may change, but you can't sell off a distributed network of
> independent repositories.”
>
> I agree, and I think that this is the crucial point. The software doesn’t
> matter (well, it does matter, but it doesn’t affect this principle). It’s
> about the distribution of *control*.
>
> We are truly fortunate to have a global, distributed infrastructure of
> institutional repositories which are (mostly) under institutional control.
> This is quite an unusual arrangement these days - and I think we should
> regard it as precious and inherently powerful in its denial of the
> possibility of “ownership” by one party.
>
> We should do what we can to both hang on to this infrastructure, and to
> exploit it more fully, in pursuit of a better scholarly communications system.

We used to have a distributed system of email and file storage in
universities, mostly under the control of the institution. In recent years,
however, a large proportion of universities have purchased loud email and
file storage services (mostly from Google and Microsoft).

--
Professor Andrew A Adams                      a...@meiji.ac.jp
Professor at Graduate School of Business Administration,  and