Thanks to Xenia van Edig (of Copernicus) and Dirk Pieper for providing new
substantive evidence. Following are highlights of my update. New blog post
title: Copernicus 2015-2016 comparison

Update July 6, 2016:

I retract my statement on tripling of page charges thanks to new evidence
indicating that the difference reflects a change in the stage at which papers
are assessed (now final publication stage generally one-third the pages of
discussion paper stage). The change is intended to be revenue-neutral but more
data from APC payers would be needed to confirm this. 2015 data from the Open
APC project includes values for 2 journals with papers at both stages, and
prices paid are 17-24% higher for papers at the final publication stage. I
re-affirm my assessment of the volatility of the APC market. I found 6 journals
with APCs indicated "currently waived", presumably journals that will charge
APCs of unknown quantities in future. I found 4 journals that referred to APCs
without specifying the cost and 2 journals with no indication of whether or not
there is a cost. This is a very substantial percentage of Copernicus' journals
for which the answer to the questions "is there an APC or APPC, and if so, how
much is it?" is not available on the Copernicus' website. I regard Copernicus
as a model OA publisher. It is likely that this situation reflects journals
that would rather not charge APCs, feel they must charge APCs but are not sure
how much to charge, etc., rather than deliberate obfuscation.

Clarification for the GOAL list: the OA APC project is a longitudinal study of
APC prices intended to be inclusive of all publishers with APCs, or at least
all that are or have been included in DOAJ at some point in time. The purpose
is to watch for early signs of trends to assist in ensuring that transition to
OA is sustainable. A premature push for global universal funding of OA via APC
based on data likely to undergo significant shifts in the next few years risks
global failure and potential burn-out of some of OA’s best friends and
supporters.

No journal or publisher is targeted or an enemy. The Sustaining the Knowledge
Commons blog includes a number of case studies. I/we publish these whenever we
notice something different or interesting and someone has time to write a post.
Critique is a necessary part of advancing our knowledge.

best,

Dr. Heather Morrison
Assistant Professor
École des sciences de l'information / School of Information Studies
University of Ottawa
http://www.sis.uottawa.ca/faculty/hmorrison.html
Sustaining the Knowledge Commons http://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/
heather.morri...@uottawa.ca