There is absolutely no contradiction between making papers (Green) OA and
publishing them in any journal you like.

(1) Deposit them in your institutional repository immediately upon acceptance
for publication

and

(2a) Either make the deposit OA immediately

or (if you want to comply with a publisher OA embargo)

(2b) Make the deposit “Closed Access” and make sure your repository
has implemented the “Almost-OA” copy-request Button,

The biggest blockage to OA is indeed not “a lack of interoperable systems.”
Nor is it “unwillingness of publishers to engage.” (Publishers are irrelevant.)

But wherever researchers fail to do (1) and either (2a) or (2b),
the biggest blockage to OA is indeed researcher apathy.

Nothing whatsoever to do with journal choice, journal impact factors, or
“mismeasurement.”
Red Herrings, all.

Dixit.

Stevan Harnad

——

Harnad, S (2015) Optimizing Open Access Policy. The Serials Librarian, 69(2),
133-141
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/381526/ <http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/381526/>

Sale, A., Couture, M., Rodrigues, E., Carr, L. and Harnad, S. (2014)
Open Access Mandates and the "Fair Dealing" Button.
In: Dynamic Fair Dealing: Creating Canadian Culture Online (Rosemary J. Coombe
& Darren Wershler, Eds.)
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/18511/ <http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/18511/>

Vincent-Lamarre, P, Boivin, J, Gargouri, Y, Larivière, V & Harnad, S (2016)
Estimating Open Access Mandate Effectiveness: The MELIBEA Score.
<http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/370203/>
Journal of the  Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST)  67
(in press)
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/370203/ <http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/370203/>