<Apologies for cross posting>

I have just returned from a two day workshop looking at the 'Scholarly Commons'. Never heard of it? You might want to read on...

"Taking a Principled stance - the Scholarly Commons" https://unlockingresearch.blog.lib.cam.ac.uk/?p=919 is a blog about the FORCE11 event, now published in /Unlocking Research/.

Taster:
It only rains about 10 days a year in San Diego. And Tuesday was one of them. In a rooftop room on campus in San Diego at UCSD, a group had gathered for theFORCE11 Scholarly Commons workshop <https://www.force11.org/group/scholarly-commons-working-group/san-diego-workshop-sept-2016>. The workshop brought together members of the Scholarly Commons working group <https://www.force11.org/group/scholarly-commons-working-group>, who hail from around the world and come from the broad scholarly commons. The Scholarly Commons is an idea to help define the future of research communication.*The goal is to promote the best research and scholarship possible through rapid **and wide dissemination to all who need or want it.*

We were meeting to discuss the draft of 18Principles of the Commons <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p7RoG_ja-8Gx-7YODw8iHWFsKn5YAVeHv0UYRyzWmL4/edit> -- an attempt to define what the community considers the attributes and behaviours of a person who is fully participating in research.*The Principles are broadly separated into four major themes of being Open, Equitable, Sustainable and Research & Culture Driven*.

Read it and join in if you are interested...

Danny

--
Dr Danny Kingsley
Head, Office of Scholarly Communication