hi Danny,

The idea of  "an attempt to define what the community considers the attributes
and behaviours of a person who is fully participating in research" can be
interpreted as signalling a movement towards negative branding or deprecation
of anyone the community considers less than pure according to community
standards, as does this discussion point" "An agreement as to inclusion implies
a concomitant agreement to exclude".

Is it one of the purposes of the group to attack or deprecate a "person" whose
"attributes and behaviours" are not what this group considers to be "fully
participating in research"? Perhaps I am misunderstanding - please advise.

best,

--
Dr. Heather Morrison
Assistant Professor

On 2016-09-22, at 9:19 AM, Danny Kingsley
<da...@cam.ac.uk<mailto:da...@cam.ac.uk>>
 wrote:

<Apologies for cross posting>

I have just returned from a two day workshop looking at the 'Scholarly
Commons'. Never heard of it? You might want to read on...

"Taking a Principled stance - the Scholarly Commons"
https://unlockingresearch.blog.lib.cam.ac.uk/?p=919 is a blog about the FORCE11
event, now published in Unlocking Research.

Taster:
********************
It only rains about 10 days a year in San Diego. And Tuesday was one of them.
In a rooftop room on campus in San Diego at UCSD, a group had gathered for the
FORCE11 Scholarly Commons
workshop<https://www.force11.org/group/scholarly-commons-working-group/san-diego-workshop-sept-2016>.
 The workshop brought together members of the Scholarly Commons working
group<https://www.force11.org/group/scholarly-commons-working-group>, who hail
from around the world and come from the broad scholarly commons. The Scholarly
Commons is an idea to help define the future of research communication. The
goal is to promote the best research and scholarship possible through rapid and
wide dissemination to all who need or want it.

We were meeting to discuss the draft of 18 Principles of the
Commons<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p7RoG_ja-8Gx-7YODw8iHWFsKn5YAVeHv0UYRyzWmL4/edit>
 – an attempt to define what the community considers the attributes and
behaviours of a person who is fully participating in research. The Principles
are broadly separated into four major themes of being Open, Equitable,
Sustainable and Research & Culture Driven.

Read it and join in if you are interested...

Danny

--
Dr Danny Kingsley
Head, Office of Scholarly Communication