Hi Heather,

I agree and this was one of things that was discussed at length - about the risk of putting up a fence and saying 'you're on the other side'. The point is trying to establish what it is we are saying when we mean that a researcher is working openly. And to find things that we can recognise and praise people for doing that works towards this utopia - because this is a utopia and one that in all likelihood won't be ever completely realised.

This is a community discussion, no-one 'owns' the Scholalry Commons (putting aside the fact that they are a concept so couldn't be owned anyway). The idea is that we - the community interested in this kind of thing - work together to try and come to some agreement.

We had a very wide range of people at the workshop. Some people are from countries where the whole idea of open access is still very new. For them, having something that they can point to as a list or set of Principles that the community generally agree with is very helpful as a starting point. Even in a (very) well established university, I am having some difficulty discussing the idea of 'Open Research' with the research community because it is a nebulous concept.

We welcome discussion - anyone who is interested can join FORCE11 - the 'join us' button is on the top of the webpage https://www.force11.org/

Regards,

Danny