Scholars have been building on the work of other scholars, e.g. citing,
paraphrasing, building on the ideas of others, for a very long time. This
tradition predates copyright, is compatible with All Rights Reserved copyright,
and certainly predates Creative Commons licensing, which is only about 15 years
old.

Use of ND simply indicates that the author is not granting additional
derivative rights. I argue that ND is often in the best interests of advancing
our knowledge. For example, one type of derivative that would make sense in the
scholarly context is a downstream volunteer co-author, using the original,
updating or changing the work, including the original authors and themselves as
co-authors. Use of ND is one way to signal to potential downstream volunteer
co-authors that this would not be welcome. This is one of the reasons I suggest
that OA activists who use or advocate for CC licenses should embrace ND.

I also suggest that CC is not the simple solution for OA it appears to be, and
I do not recommend paying commercial companies like Elsevier for works to be
licensed CC.

best,

Heather Morrison