Hello all,

Over and over I heard that openness would be easier if only the incentive
systems were better aligned with the principles of openness. That is why I
have teamed up with Erin McKiernan (UNAM) and Meredith Niles (UVM) to study
the Review, Tenure and Promotion
<https://www.scholcommlab.ca/research/rpt-project/> (RPT) process. One of
our goals is to make recommendations on how this process may be changed to
better encourage openness.

We are collecting and analyzing RPT documents from a random sample of 150+
institutions from the US and Canada. The project team has collected many
university-wide RPT policies, but we have fewer *discipline-specific/department
guidelines* that are sometimes given to faculty. We *need your help*.

Please have a look at the list of institutions
<https://www.scholcommlab.ca/research/rpt-project/progress> in our
sample. I have two questions/requests:

1. Does your department/discipline have specific guidelines beyond the
university ones?
---If yes, could you send me any such documents from your department to
rpt-proj...@sfu.ca (they should be blank, not completed forms)?
---If no, could you write us and tell us anyway?

2. Could you forward this request, or use the email template here
<https://www.scholcommlab.ca/research/rpt-project/help-us>, to colleagues
at any of the institutions on the list?

Finally, if you are interested in the outcomes of the research project to
better understand how your institutions’ RPT guidelines may compare with
other institutions, please sign up to the ScholCommLab's mailing list
<https://www.scholcommlab.ca/sign-up-for-updates/>.

Thanks in advance!

Juan Pablo Alperin
Assistant Professor, Canadian Institute for Studies in Publishing
Associate Director, Public Knowledge Project
Simon Fraser University