On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 5:27 PM, Heather Morrison <
heather.morri...@uottawa.ca> wrote:

> CC-BY does grant blanket commercial rights to harvest and sell works, or
> portions of works such as images

Agreed. and also derivative works. However with CC BY the re-user must
(normally) acknowledge original ownership or authorship and may be required
to attach a copy of the original licence.

> Re: "the price of freedom is that someone should keep and advertise at
> least one copy of the original": this is an important point, but you need
> to add "free of charge", otherwise this could become a toll access service.

It's a slightly fluid point. I might make works available on a physical
device such as a SSD.  I reserve the right to charge for the memory stick
and possibly the labour involved.

The OKF (sic) anticipated this in the Open Definition (in which I
participated) which states (http://opendefinition.org/od/2.1/en/ )
>>1.2 Access

The *work* *must* be provided as a whole and at no more than a reasonable
one-time reproduction cost, and *should* be downloadable via the Internet
without charge. Any additional information necessary for license compliance
(such as names of contributors required for compliance with attribution
requirements) *must* also accompany the work.
>>1.3 Machine Readability

The *work* *must* be provided in a form readily processable by a computer
and where the individual elements of the work can be easily accessed and
modified.
>>1.4 Open Format

The *work* *must* be provided in an open format. An open format is one
which places no restrictions, monetary or otherwise, upon its use and can
be fully processed with at least one free/libre/open-source software tool.

<<
Note the use of "a reasonable one-time reproduction cost". This means that
I might ask a re-user for (say) 20 USD for media. But the re-user can then
re-copy at their own expense without permission and could offer it to
others without charge.

HM>I argue that this is one of the reasons OA repositories are necessary to
sustain OA. Publishers have no obligation to continue to exist or continue
publishing, never mind an ongoing obligation to make works freely available
on a perpetual basis.

PMR> I completely agree. Open repositories and maybe national libraries are
the primary guarantee of indefinite Openness. There have (I believe) been
examples of Open Access journals being purchased and then disappearing.
There is also the problem of "hybrid" open access becoming closed by
"mistake". I have certainly highlighted this in the past. IMO Libraries
should be assiduousy ingesting "hybrid" and publicising the contents and
location and adding search engines.

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069 <+44%201223%20763069>