I do not think that you should apologize about such a situation.
What it means, on the other hand, is that a few resources should be
added to DOAJ and similar non-profits to have a team defending such
wonderful projects. I wonder if the Free software foundation could be
of help in identifying such a group. If not, it might be time to
explore the possibility of a consortial effort on that front. Libraries
might be interested too.
Jean-Claude Guedon