Many thanks for this, Lars. I believe your answer is excellent and full of good
common sense. DOAJ is about OA scholarly publishing quality, not about putting
pressure on potentially tyrannical governments. Given the way some governments
are evolving these days, this might even lead to very weird consequences.

Politics does intersect open access, but not quite in the way Heather suggests.

Best,

Jean-Claude Guédon

On 2019-08-15 8:55 a.m., Lars Bjørnshauge wrote:
Hello Heather,

We agree that “Achieving the goals of the movement requires critical reflection
and occasional changes in policy and procedure”. Over the years DOAJ has done
this, listening to the changed and increasing demands from the community, for
instance when in 2014 we implemented substantially stronger criteria for
inclusion which were based on extensive feedback from the community:
https://blog.doaj.org/2019/08/05/myth-busting-doaj-indexes-predatory-journals/
Earlier today we responded to your statement that we reject open access
journals that would be "suitable venues for critics of the despotic
government”. DOAJ wants to index good quality open access journals, but they
must apply and meet the selection criteria in order to be included. We might
also discuss the issue about “despotic governments”, but currently we would
find it very hard to 1) create selection criteria for DOAJ defining what
constitutes a journal sponsored by a “despotic government” and 2) agree on a
list of such governments.
Best

Lars Bjørnshauge
Managing Director
DOAJ

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 8:08 AM Heather Morrison