Every model for transitioning to open access has its advantages and
disadvantages.

One of the potential benefits of the article processing charge method is
transparency, which in theory could lead to more price and cost sensibility as
Dirk describes. I was more optimistic about this potential in the past than I
am today. OA journals and publishers' websites are full of information about
APCs being paid for by institutions, funders, not out of authors' pockets. If
funders pay for APCs, the cost may be transparent to authors and universities,
but who pays attention when someone else is paying? In the transformative
(subscriptions + open access) deals, APCs are no more transparent than
subscriptions, and based on my prior experience negotiating licensing deals,
these combined deals may make both the subscriptions and the APC costs more
obscure, because ultimately, buyers and sellers of big deals are agreeing on a
bundled price rather than a cost structure, never mind a transparent cost
structure. Such deals have a strong potential to alter the APC market, because
low APCs might seem to publishers as a weakness in negotiating. Also, for
traditional scholarly publishers who have extensive back lists of works for
which they own copyright (a major financial asset), the best case scenario is
complete failure of the open access movement. New publishers who rely on APCs
(e.g. PLOS, Hindawi, MDPI) have incentive to transform the entire system, but
not traditional highly profitable publishers like SpringerNature and Elsevier.

One of the strong drawbacks of APC is leaving out authors who cannot afford the
fees. This is not just authors in low income countries. As Peter Murray-Rust
helpfully pointed out recently, active retiree scholars like PMR do not have
funding for APCs, either. This is also likely to be true of emerging scholars
in the developed world who are in the process of trying to establish a career.
Even if every university and research institution covered APCs for regular
full-time researchers, it is unlikely that future such researchers would be
covered.

Another reason to be cautious about the potential of APC to achieve cost and
pricing stability is that whether this will happen or whether we will see a
continuation of the decades-old inelastic market for scholarly publishing in an
open access market remains to be seen. Will authors see the cost and seek
cost-effective publishing solutions? Or, will the underlying dynamic behind the
inelastic market - "must purchase / subscribe" simply shift to
"must-publish-in"?

To date, based on our longitudinal APC study, while there is not enough data to
draw firm conclusions, there is enough evidence of transitioning the inelastic
market into APCs to warrant concern. As we have reported in the past few years,
price increases that are far beyond inflationary levels, applied to already
substantial prices, have been observed among both traditional-transitioning and
new OA-only publishers.

Select examples:

SpringerOpen 2018/2019: 8% increase in average APC; 36% of journals, the ones
with the highest volumes, increased in price at rates from double the inflation
rate to double the price.
https://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/2019/08/13/springeropen-pricing-trends-2018-2019/

Frontiers 2018/2019: while the average APC increase is only 3%, 40% of
Frontiers journals increased in price from 2018/2019 by 18% - 31% (the EU
inflation rate is below 2% for this time frame).
https://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/2019/04/30/frontiers-in-2019-3-increase-in-average-apc/

MDPI 2018/2019: "In brief: MDPI has increased prices, in many cases quite
substantially (some prices have more than tripled). Even more price increases
are anticipated in July 2019, which will have the effect of doubling the
average APC and tripling the most common APC. Unlike other publishers’
practices, there are no price decreases".
https://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/2019/02/13/mdpi-2019-price-increases-some-hefty-and-more-coming-in-july/

Kudos to Dr. Franck Vasquez, MDPI's CEO, for open discussion about similar
price increases in 2018. The key takeaway I was hoping for in the case of new
APC based publishers like MDPI is an understanding that this kind of price
increases (market-based pricing) is not compatible with budgets of payers
(libraries, universities and funding agencies' budgets are based on costs and
resource availability). This fundamental conflict seems very likely to drive an
inelastic, unsustainable APC market. However, after this open, transparent
conversation, here we are again in 2019 with new OA publishers pursuing exactly
the same pricing strategy.

To conclude, while my team spends a lot of time studying APC trends, this does
not imply endorsement of the method. In the past, I advocated for APCs as a way
to introduce transparency and competition into the market. Today, I urge
caution and strongly encourage consideration of other models. For example,
direct subsidy models such as providing infrastructure for publishing and
archives at the university or research organization and supporting editorial
work (e.g. modest subsidy to pay for support staff) is much more efficient than
APC, which is in effect an indirect subsidy model. If transparency is sought,
universities and funding agencies, at least in my part of the world, have a
solid reputation for seeking accountability for every cost incurred.

best,

Dr. Heather Morrison

Associate Professor, School of Information Studies, University of Ottawa

Professeur Agrégé, École des Sciences de l'Information, Université d'Ottawa

Principal Investigator, Sustaining the Knowledge Commons, a SSHRC Insight
Project

sustainingknowledgecommons.org

heather.morri...@uottawa.ca

https://uniweb.uottawa.ca/?lang=en#/members/706

[On research sabbatical July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020]