Here's another example of the appalling misuse of CC-NC. Same article
(copyright owned by the authors). I put in for a product description for a
device company:

>>Permission Not Allowed

>>According to the policies of Elsevier, use of this content in the manner
you are requesting is not allowed.

PMR> Elsevier are acting as if they are the owners of the copyright, they
are soaking the world for thousands of dollars and creatin a monopoly. If
anyone should be controlling the re-use it's the author. It's absolutely
certain that the author has no idea what Elsevier and CCC are doing with
the authors' content.

IMO this is close to theft. It's not Elseviers content and CCC has no
rights to exact ths rent.
CCC+publishers are a major cause of the destruction of science and
medicine. Closed access is bad enough but uncontrolled faux "open access"
is worse. Elsevier asserts complete control over the re-use and sale of
this material and yet the world goes along with the fiction it's "open
access".

Remember the authors have paid Elsevier or "open access" and what Elsevier
is actually creating is the total opposite.

It's greed and theft.

A necessary but not sufficient condition is that there is formal
regulation. I have been banging on for 10 years and it's about time the
world woke up and asserted its right.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 6:46 AM Guédon Jean-Claude <
jean.claude.gue...@umontreal.ca> wrote:

> It seems to me, Rob, that if you were aware that it "might be contentious"
> (!!!!), you might have also considered mentioning the fact, if only for the
> sake of honest transparency... Practising some analog of the *caveat
> emptor* philosophy in the field of copyright is not a good starting point.
>
> Jean-Claude Guédon
>
> On 2019-09-12 2:20 p.m., Rob Johnson wrote:
>
> Dear Jean-Claude, Heather,
>
> In haste, but thanks for flagging the concern on the NDA clause, I was
> aware this might be contentious, and will feed this back.
>

> Certainly there are similar transparency requirements in the UK to those
> you describe in Ontario, including freedom of information requests and
> disclosure of salary information on high earners. These tend to apply to
> public bodies and charities, including higher education institutions, but
> the extent to which these are cascaded down to commercial entities is
> variable, and generally a matter of contract law rather statute or
> regulation. That said, expectations of greater transparency are
> well-established in other sectors where commercial actors provide public
> services, and/or where there is not a well-functioning market. As far as
> I’m aware there’s no fundamental reason why this couldn’t be extended to
> academic publishing if it’s deemed to be in the public interest to do so,
> it just hasn’t happened to date.
>

> Best wishes,
>

> Rob

"I always retain copyright in my papers, and nothing in any contract I sign
with any publisher will override that fact. You should do the same".

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069