What can the open access / scholcomm communities do right now in light of
COVID-19?

First, go or stay home and do what you need to do to keep yourself, your family
and communities safe. It is normal to need some time to absorb the massive
social changes we are all going through, to figure out how to work from home if
this isn't your current practice, to help your organization to adjust to
providing service without a physical location.

When you have time to get back to a OA / scholcomm focus, my recommendation is
to focus for now on OA to the most relevant materials and resources. If you
have scholars whose work could help the fight to find vaccines or treatments or
speed up production of needed equipment and supplies, it would be helpful to
make this material OA if possible. Maybe someone in India, China, or Africa
could build on this knowledge to create solutions that will help your community.

Many people are sharing links to free resources that can help people adjust to
social distancing and isolation - free cultural resources, online workouts,
etc. Thank you, that is a great idea and in the medium to long term will help
people see the benefits of OA.

There will be a time for broader discussion of OA policy to be better prepared
next time. In my opinion, the time for this will come in several months for
those of us in North America and other places where the immediate need is to
slow the spread of COVID-19. To help prepare for this phase, I have reposted 2
related posts from The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics and their links
here:

https://sustainingknowledgecommons.org/2020/03/23/reflections-on-covid-19-and-oa-materials-now-advocacy-later/

Dr. Heather Morrison

Associate Professor, School of Information Studies, University of Ottawa

Professeur Agrégé, École des Sciences de l'Information, Université d'Ottawa

Principal Investigator, Sustaining the Knowledge Commons, a SSHRC Insight
Project

sustainingknowledgecommons.org

heather.morri...@uottawa.ca

https://uniweb.uottawa.ca/?lang=en#/members/706

[On research sabbatical July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020]