Hi Richard,

I didn’t notice your question about cOAlition S overlap with COAR. There is
probably some small overlap in institutional membership, but most of the COAR
members are not funders and cOAlition S members generally are funders. That
said, COAR and cOAlition S are working together in the area of repositories.

In terms of collaboration, I have been aware of Glen’s initiative, but my
co-authors and I (as well as many others) have a more ambitious goal. That is,
to move towards full, open access and at the same time support and nurture
bibliodiversity.

In terms of collaboration, I think the “big tent” strategy can too easily
result in lowest common denominator, watered-down objectives as well as erase
any local, diverse, unique perspectives. A much more effective approach would
be (and I reiterate) to develop regional or national strategies between
funders, universities, libraries and researchers + international engagement
across each community (like Plan S for funders or COAR for repositories).

And, in response to Heather, of course the translation technologies are not
perfect, but this is about having “good enough” tools to support global
communications, while also ensuring local populations have access to their
local scientific and scholarly output.

Best, Kathleen

Kathleen Shearer
Executive Director
Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR)
www.coar-repositories.org