I always spoke Konkani with my parents in Goa.When I was a child I went to
Bombay to school at the age of 7 years I struggled with English and then
polished it speaking with my father's friends in Bombay who were Englishmen
and did not know anything of Konkani and made fun of me with Konkani words.
Today I speak Konkani in Goa,only with the Brahmins I am at ease, the others
make me feel unwanted. I speak English within the English speaking people of
Goa and the question always is "Were you abroad "? And I have to request them
for an explanation to understand what exactly they mean.

While in school at Bombay in the 1950s Hindi and Marathi were suddenly
introduced and had to again struggle with languages unheard of and failed
miserably because of these two different languages with ant/snake like scripts
and some sounds. I used to get dreams in my boarding school at Matunga,
Bombay, that tomorrow is my final examination and I have not yet brought my
Hindi and Marathi Text Books. Only some years back these dreams ceased. I had
to leave school in the X Standard at Bombay because of political reasons
between then Portuguese Goa and India. That turned out to be a blessing in
disguise as I finished the High School in English in Portuguese Goa without
Hindi (we were given this exemption because we were from another state than
Maharashtra). In Goa,Portuguese was compulsory for English students, but I
managed to dodge Portuguese because the Portuguese teacher was very harsh with
me. He is still alive in Panjim, I won't name him now. I had taken French as a
second language in Bombay just to avoid studying Latin with another merciless
teacher. He died recently. Good man. May God bless his soul.

Just for reading and no intention to hurt anybody.

Gregory Fernandes.