Largest Circulated English Daily of Goa - Monday, August 30, 2010

Goan laws heavily loaded against minorities: Radharao

HERALD REPORTER

HERALD REPORTER
MARGAO, AUG 29

Asserting that Goans are not denationalized but are forced to seek employment
oversees for want of opportunities in the State, Adv Radharao Gracias has said
that Goan laws are heavily loaded against the Catholic community and urged the
government to enact laws which would help protect Goan NRI community from land
sharks.

“We are not denationalized. We are forced to run away from the state for
employment. If you look at the statistics tabled in the House in the just
concluded session, of the 11,000-odd government jobs given during the
three-years of Congress rule, only 700 jobs were given to the minorities in
Goa,

even though Catholics and Muslims comprise 40 per cent of Goan population,”
Gracias said, while speaking at the launch of Selma Carvalho’s book “Into the
Diaspora Wilderness” at the Ravindra Bhavan here on Sunday.

“Those who are in power tend to accommodate their own people and the minorities
are put on the fringe. Where will our people go when you don’t give them jobs?
They are forced to run away and then they are labelled as denationalized,”
Gracias said, adding “We are discriminated by the Congress, which is voted to
power by the Catholic community.”
Saying that the existing laws in Goa are of not much help to the Catholic
community, Adv Radharao said the laws should take in account the needs of the
people who leave the State for employment. “The laws are against the Catholic
community. There should be an amendment to the Tenancy Act to protect the
properties of Goans staying abroad,” he added.
The former Legislator said the Law Commission should seriously consider
recommending a Legislation to regularize constructions and protect purchasers
from the builders. “There is no law to protect Goans from land sharks. These
sharks are thriving on the hard earned money of Goans working abroad,” he said
Commenting on the book, critic Augusto Pinto said he believed that Goans
through

emigration have become denationalized. “Literally, so many of them are not
Indian nationals as they are nationals of Canada, America, Britain and have no
clue of what India is like,” he said, adding “so what Portuguese could not do,
emigration has done by taking Goan people away from India and taking them to
other countries”.
Author Selma Carvalho said the book is basically a celebration of Goans and
their contributions to the country they live in and for Goa.
“It is a sort of history of their lives, starting from East Africa, Macau, UK
and America. The history is told in a story fashion. The book also delves into
the factors that has compelled Goans to leave the State and about our economy
and politics,” she added.

000000000000000000

rene barreto
Goanworld : http://worldgoan.blogspot.com/