|     Domnic Fernandes continues (Part III) his reminiscence of     |
|                       Mapusa of the 1950s                        |
|  http://www.goanet.org/index.php?name=News&file=article&sidB6  |
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

       /                                         d8   Founded in
 e88~88e  e88~-_    /~~~8e  888-~88e  e88~~8e  _d88__ 1994 by
 888 888 d888   i       88b 888  888 d888  88b  888   Herman
 "88_88" 8888   |  e88~-888 888  888 8888__888  888   Carneiro
  /      Y888   ' C888  888 888  888 Y888    ,  888
 Cb       "88_-~   "88_-888 888  888  "88___/   "88_/
   http://www.goanet.org * Building social capital.

-----   GOANET NEWS BYTES * APRIL 10, 2006 * DATELINE GOA ------

          STATE BANK OF INDIA's week-long strike has
          been called off. This bank stir had affected
          clearing of cheques and government transactions
          in many parts of India, including Goa.

          A MAN CLEANS A WELL in Navelim on Sunday. The
          Navhind Times caption says, "The state has been
          facing water security (problems) and people
          are resorting to traditional methods to meet
          their water demands. (NT)

o CRACKER LADEN CAR goes up in flames at Malim. Two brothers
  fatally burnt. The car was trailing a 'palki' procession
  of Vitthal Rakhumai at Malim-Betim in Bardez, with the
  passengers in the process of throwing out fire-crackers
  from the ill-fated car. Porvorim police disclosed that
  due to the wind, the sparks of the crackers that the
  passengers were lighting entered the vehicle which was
  laden with crackers and ignited the other boxes. (Herald)

o SEVEN-YEAR-OLD Shreya Naik of Udupi, Karnataka, died on the
  sport after their jeep collided with an oncoming pick-up
  at Canacona this evening. (Herald)

o Anti-Mopa meet at Pernem fails to take off. Pernem MLA
  Babu Azgaonkar and Mopa activists from Pernem were seen
  geared up to thwart any move to hold an anti-Mopa meet at
  Dhargal. Divisional magistrate Mahesh Khorjuvenkar
  refused permission to hold the proposed meet at Dhargal
  due to 'law and order problem'. (Herald)

o Government Registrar of Co-operative Societies is housed
  in a two-storey house at Mala-Fontainhas, and is one of
  the stuffiest government offices with 50-odd staff.
  Visitors have to struggle through tables, chairs and
  cupboards that occupy most of the space.

          POLIO VACCINES were administered to nearly
          122,000 children below the age of five on
          Sunday. (H) The government and its staff
          seems to have invested a lot of energies into
          making sure all kids got these drops, in a
          battle to fight polio.

          DR MIGUEL CORREA MONTEIRO'S book Saint Francis
          Xavier, A Man for Others, was released in
          Panjim, to commemorate the quincenteneary of the
          birth anniversary of Xavier. It was brought out
          by CIT Correios de Portugal, the Portuguese
          post office. This is the latest of over a
          hundred titles published (with postage stamps
          inside) by the Portuguese post office, many of
          them now completely sold out and already much
          valued in the secondary markets. (NT)ks

o Palm Sunday observed in Goa. (NT)
o Dearth of health workers highlighted at World Health Day.H
o Save Dabolim Airport Action Ctee formed under Adv Greg Barros
o Councillors fail to turn up at Aquem meet. (H)
o Maddel residents demand government return land to farmers.
  It was acquired for a truck terminus, that was scrapped.(H)
o Electrification of Mungul bridge gets green signal. (H)
o Motorcycle pilot Ajay Bhike arrested for armed robbery.
o After 5 yrs, govt struggling to acquire 250 sq.m.of land
  for road widening near Guirdolim church. (H)
o Hospicio panel seeks Government aid to frame laws. (H)
o Goa's deadly cocktail: mix of religion and politics. (H)
o Posco (South Korean) team in Goa to naugurate transshipper
  mv Goan Pride. Welcomed by V M Salgaocar & Bro Pvt Ltd.
  Another advert welcomes a team from Qingdao Iron and Steel
  (obviously from China), with the ad from the Dempo Group.
  Other guests welcomed in large newspaper adverts are from
  the Nippon Steel Corporation (Japan).
o Goa Carbon Limited is issuing 46,00,000 equity shares of
  Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 70. This Dempo-promoted
  company was in the news over pollution issues at St Jose
  de Areal.
o Kokoy 'John Gomes' to receive Fr Freddy Award today.GT
o Four injured in mishap at Bogmalo. (NT)

FROM THE KONKANI, MARATHI PRESS

o Crackers set car ablaze, two youth killed. (Gomantak)
o Just one meet held so far to decide fate of Goa's
  airport by the Rane Committee. (Gomantak)
o Over one lakh kids get pulse polio vaccines. (Gomantak)
o Padmashree winner Prasad Sawkar felicitated. (Gomantak)
o Chandreshwar Buthnath Sanstha celebrates its annual
  zatra at Parvat Paroda this week. (Gomantak, advt)
o Protests as Indo-UK Guwahati match is cancelled due
  to bad weather. (Gomantak)
o Opposing Mopa is an injustice to North Goa: Deshprabhu
  (Gova Doot)
o Mopa causes dissentions within Congress (Gova Doot)
o Luizinho Faleiro planning to contest South Goa Lok Sabha
  seat? Planning to place son Ravi Faleiro as candidate
  for Navelim seat. (Gova Doot)
o Laxman Joshi (former Gomantak editor, now with Gova Doot)
  writes on the edit page: Mopachya pateent Luizeen Falerocha
  khanajeer.
o Edit on Gova Doot is about Salelim, where there was a
  revolt against the feudal control and mining pollution,
  amidst some backing from the BJP.
o Quarter-page front-page Government of Goa advert in the
  Sunaparant promises that it is "insuring smiles... working
  towards a prosperous Goa".
o Edit page article in Sunaparant is titled: "Hosheeyar!
  Khabardar" and is by Sayyed Zain-ul Ubedin (Bacchu).
  Sunaparant has come in for some criticism for giving out
  its columns to RSS voices to spread what critics call
  "hate speech".

NEWS FROM THE ONLINE WORLD: http://www.goanet.org/newslinks.php

Goa Minister meets Sonia to demand scrapping of Mopa project:
State Education Minister Luzinho Faleiro today met Congress
party president Sonia Gandhi to demand shelving of the
proposed international airport at Mopa in north Goa.
http://www.newkerala.com/news2.php?action=fullnews&id=39643

A New Generation of Pilgrims Hits India's Hippie Trail: There
ain't nothing like this in the real world. Come to Goa.
Change your mind. Change your way.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/09/travel/09goa.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Merlyn Vaz Scholarship for teachers launched: Designed to
bring education as a key issue between Britain and Goa, the
Merlyn Vaz Scholarship instituted in memory of Merlyn Verona
Vaz, the mother of British Asian MP Keith Vaz for Goan
teachers was launched on Saturday. http://oheraldo.in/node/12121

GCA to reimburse tickets of unlucky cricket fans
(ThatsCricket.com): Goa Cricket Association (GCA) yesterday
announced that some cricket fans who failed to get entry into
the stadium on April 3 for the One-day International (ODI)
match between India and England, despite valid tickets, would
get refund and also receive complimentary passes for the next
ODI in the state.
http://thatscricket.oneindia.in/news/2006/04/08/0804gca-tickets.html

Dempo crush Air India (The Telegraph): Duler (Goa): Dempo
rallied superbly in the second half to fashion 4-1 victory
over Air India in the 10th national football league for the
ONGC Cup on Sunday. For Dempo Isfaq Ahmed scored a brace
while Roberto Silva and Ranty Martins scored a goal each. For
the airmen Bashir Abbas reduced the margin.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060410/asp/sports/story_6079849.asp

Md. Sporting lose 0-3 (The Telegraph): Calcutta: Riding Dudu
Omagbemis hattrick, Sporting Clube de Goa trounced Mohammedan
Sporting 3-0 in a National Football League match in Mapusa,
Goa on Saturday.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1060409/asp/sports/story_6076870.asp

India State Of Goa To Proceed With Plan To Require HIV Tests
For Marriage (Medical News Today): The government of the
Indian state of Goa plans to proceed with its plan to require
couples registering for marriage to undergo HIV tests, the
Hindu reports (Hindu, 4/1). The government of Goa last month
announced that it plans to amend the Goa Public Health Act to
require HIV testing for couples wishing to marry... click
link for more info.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=40997&nfid=rssfeeds

Wipro Peripherals to put up shop in Goa (Navhind Times):
Margao, April 6: Wipro Peripherals Ltd (WeP), one of the
largest employee owned companies in India plans to set up a
BPO in Goa. However, this BPO does not read out as Business
Process Outsourcing, but instead as Business Printing
Outsourcing.
http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=040710

Enough drinking water to meet Goas needs: Dhavalikar (Navhind
Times) Panaji, April 5: The PWD Minister, Mr Ramkrishna
Dhavalikar today refuted the allegations of the leader of the
opposition, Mr Manohar Parrikar and added that there is
sufficient drinking water in the state to meet Goas needs
till June end.
http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=040640

SC full bench to examine Parrikars plea (Navhind Times): New
Delhi, April 7: The Supreme Court today referred to a
constitution bench a petition filed by former Goa chief
minister, Mr Manohar Parrikar challenging the dismissal of
his government last year.
http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=040828

Suicide cases on the rise among the young (Navhind Times):
Panaji,April 7: Suicidal tendency is on the increase,
particularly among teenagers and youth, and this has been a
matter of serious concern for the Goa police.
http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=04082

GKA selects 5 field workers for research (Navhind Times):
Panaji, April 7: The Goa Konkani Akademi has selected five
field workers on the basis of their experience and their
expertise in the field of folklore and academic background.A
fellowship of Rs 15,000 each will be given to them to collect
Dhalo a form of folk-song.
http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=04081

Devotees throng 500th birth (Navhind Times): Panaji, April 7:
The 500th birth anniversary celebrations of St Francis Xavier
were largely attended by priests, religious and the laity
from different walks of life at Basilica of Bom Jesus, Old
Goa today.
http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=04086

Ultra nabbed (Navhind Times): NT Staff ReporterPanaji, April
7: The Director General of Police, Mr Neeraj Kumar this
evening disclosed that Shammim Ahmed, who was nabbed in
Gulbarga by the Karnataka police for suspected involvement in
terrorist activities, has been brought to Goa.
http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=04085

Vice-Admiral Sangram Singh Byce to visit Goa naval base
(Outlook India): Western Naval Command chief, Vice-Admiral
Sangram Singh Byce, will be visiting Sea Bird Naval Base at
Karwar in Karnataka tomorrow, officials said here today.
http://www.outlookindia.com/pti_news.asp?id=376476

CM delegation to meet PM (Deccan Herald): Chief Minister H D
Kumaaraswamy on Thursday agreed to lead an all-party
delegation to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to seek release
of 7.56 tmc ft of water by Goa from Mahadayi river to
Karnataka, for drinking water purposes.
http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/apr72006/state191512200646.asp

Bring white paper on Sanvordem riots, says Milli Council
(Navhind Times): Panaji, April 6: The All India Milli Council
has demanded that the government of Goa must bring out a
white paper telling the people the truth about the communal
violence in the twin towns of Sanvordem and Curchorem.
http://www.navhindtimes.com/stories.php?part=news&Story_ID=040748

India, France hold joint naval exercises off Goa coast
(Islamic Republic News Agency): India - France - Naval
Exercises The second phase of the Joint Indo-French naval
exercise Varuna VI began on the coast of Goa.
http://www.irna.ir/en/news/view/menu-235/0604034307124729.htm

PLIVA Research (India) to commence operations at Goa facility
by May 2006 (PharmaBiz): PLIVA Research (India) Private
Limited, a subsidiary of Croatia-based PLIVA Group, is
expecting to start its operations at its new research
facility at Goa by May 2006. The facility is to conduct
bio-equivalence, bio-availability and pharmaco-kinetics
studies for the company's in-house developed products.
http://www.pharmabiz.com/article/detnews.asp?articleid=32670

Heat and humidity comes into play as cricket caravan rolls
into Goa (The Star Online): MARGAO, India (AP): Goa's
stamina-sapping heat and humidity will play a major part in
the game plan of the Indian and English teams ahead of
Monday's third limited-overs international at this coastal
province.
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/4/2/apworld/20060402183801&sec=apworld

'Bombay To Goa' to be remade (Deccan Herald): The original
film had the entire country in splits and established Amitabh
Bachchan as a comic actor as well. Now the classic 'Bombay To
Goa' is being remade with the newest stars on comedy scene.
http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/apr22006/update64839200642.asp

FROM HERE AND THERE IN CYBERSPACE

REQUEST FROM GOA: My name is Riza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. I am
seven years old. I started blogging recently and enjoy it.
It's lot of fun, I feel, because it's nice to write about
many things. Some of my recent blog entries are about Bombay,
my Konkani book and Coco Rio. If I had one wish, I hope to be
a vet doctor, because I like animals, kittens, puppies and
butterflies. Thank you, Riza. http://rizagoa.blogspot.com

ROAD ACCIDENTS IN GOA: Eddie Fernandes eddie at
fernandes.u-net.com makes an interesting comment:

          Valmiki Faleiro has provoked a fascinating
          discussion, in particular with regard to the
          driving test and overtaking.

          I feel that the main problem with the driving test
          in Goa is the local practice of driving schools
          charging learners a flat fee with a guaranteed
          licence at the end of the course.  The learners
          receive minimal instruction and the driving schools
          bribe the examiners to pass the candidates. With
          the low fees charged it is the only way they can
          survive. If driving schools were compelled to
          charge fees per lesson it would improve standards.
          The schools would have a vested interest in
          preparing candidates thoroughly and the incidence
          of bribery would decrease.

          I use a self-drive car during my annual visit to
          Goa and though I have a British Driving licence, I
          decided to apply for one in Goa in order to acquire
          yet another local identity document. The test was
          absolutely pathetic.  In the oral part the examiner
          asked me what I should do before overtaking. I
          listed the checks I would make but he was not
          satisfied and kept on repeating the question.  I
          listed a few more cautions but he was still not
          content.  I finally gave up and asked him what else
          I should do.  "Blow the horn, BLOW THE HORN," he
          screamed in my ear.

          I told him that I did not see the need to do so
          since I would only overtake when it was safe to do
          so and in any case I did not like adding to the
          noise pollution. The rest of the test was completed
          in a tense atmosphere and perhaps he did not take
          me through the full practical routine.  I was not
          asked to perform a three point turn, hill start or
          reverse parking. I was surprised to pass the test.

          I too have had Gabriel's experience of indicating
          an intention of turning right and it being
          interpreted as a signal for a vehicle behind to
          overtake me.

          One tip regarding driving in Goa - with long drives
          and in rural areas wherever possible I drive behind
          another vehicle.  This is particularly useful at
          night to avoid the glare of full headlights from
          oncoming traffic.

          One feature that does puzzle me is the total
          absence of traffic lights in Goa, even at busy road
          junctions.  Unmarked road breakers are used
          sometimes and they are a hazard to those not
          familiar to their location. Traffic lights are
          common in other parts of India.  Why not in Goa? --
          Eddie Fernandes London

TRIO ORLANDO: Ilidio de Noronha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes in to say: "I'm Orlando's brother. I happened to read
your mail on Goanet. He may be contacted on 91+832+2431900,
9823086867; Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] " This was in
response to a recent query about Trio Orlando's contact
details. Orlando is into fusion (sitar-tabla-guitar) music
and also azuleijos tiles.

           ANTHOLOGY ON GOA: Jerry Pinto
           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> announces that work has
           begun on an anthology on Goa, to be published
           later this year from Delhi.

NIRMAL KULKARNI <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> has just
conducted an exhibition titled Hinterlands-A walk through
Goa's Interiors. He writes: "(This is) of images taken from
Goa's hinterlands for the past one decade for conservation
and documentation." These images were displayed at the Myriad
Art Gallery, Opp Hotel Venite, 31st January Road, Panjim from
10 am to 7.00 pm from April 1 to 10. It was organised by
Nirmal and Asavri Kulkarni www.wildernest-goa.com
Phone-9326107079

          UNTIMELY DEATH: Miguel Braganza
          [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes about the dealth of
          Orvil Pereira (15), a tenth standard student of St
          Britto's at Mapusa, found dead just before his SSC
          exams. Britto's Old Boys Network offers its
          condolences http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brittos

COMMENT FROM PORTUGAL TO RAHUL GOSWAMI'S ARTICLE: Claudia
Pereira claudiapereir at gmail.com writes: "My name is
Cláudia Pereira, an anthropologist from Portugal who's doing
research among Hindu and Chrisitan Gauddis in a village
situated in Quepem. I would to say that I truly enjoyed your
article, specially the way you deeply cover the different
aspects of the social reality of Goa. I was just thinking
what is the right word to describe the relation between
Hindus and Christians in Goan Villages. One of them is
tolerance, but at the same time they hardly mix, which is a
conditionated tolerance."

Mariola Sequeira msa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
"Rahul, Thanks.  That was an interesting piece,
well-researched i think. Based in Rajasthan for more than 25
years now, I sometimes feel I have jumped on the diaspora
bandwagon. Mariola"

SAD NEWS FROM BAHRAIN: Thanks to Tony Borges
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> for reports on the Bahrain boat
tragedy. He quoted the Gulf Daily News saying, "ANOTHER
victim who died in last Thursday's boat tragedy was
discovered floating in the sea yesterday - just over 11km
from where the Al Dana capsized. It takes the number of
people known to have died in the accident to 58. The body of
Indian Gabriel Fernandes, aged 44, was spotted floating in
the morning, south of Fesht Al Adhm.... Mr Fernandes was a
timekeeper with Nass, Murray & Roberts. He leaves a wife,
Anita, and two sons Elvin, 21, and Fernandes, 20, who live in
Mumbai. The family is originally from Goa."

TRIBUTE TO ALFIE: As a tibute to a life cut short by a
maasive cardiac arrest, this group was started by Kevin
Saldanha to get friends of Alfie together to remember the
good old times and how best we can help his family cope with
this tragic loss. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alfie/

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

I haven't done anything of note so far. There is lots of work
ahead. -- Milian Fernandes, 17, grandson of former St Andre
MLA Teotonio Pereira, who is now bracketed among the
promising footballers in Germany. FIFA's all-powerfull
president Sepp Blatter felicitated him, along with nine
others, in his hometown of Hamburg last week. The youngster
currently dons colours for Niendorfer TSV. His father Venacio
Fernandes, originally from Chorao, migrated to Germany when
he was still a kid.

DEATHS AND REMEMBRANCES

AQUEM: Claudio Mendes, Malbhat, Margao.
AQUEM ALTO: Eufemia Cordeiro 'Leena' b 1924.
LOUTOLIM: Domingos Roque S F Vaz (Domnic) b 1934.
MAPUSA: Dr Madhukar Subray Chodankar of Peddem, expired
on April 9 in Switzerland.
SALIGAO: Severina Fernandes, Cruzvaddo, b 1917.

          EX-ENTEBBE, UGANDA & UK: Bernard Lobo. Rodrigues
          Vaddo, Sodiem, Siolim. Funeral will leave Casa
          Lobo at Rodrigues Vaddo, Siolim on Tuesday
          April 11 4 pm for Tropa Church.

          MSGR. CARMO DA SILVA, b 1921. Cansaulim.
          Ex-rector of Saligao Seminary and Rachol
          Seminary. Ex-parish priest of Panjim Church.
          Funeral April 10 at 4 pm at Cansaulim.

AQUEM: Luis Pinto, Margao. Month's mind.
CANDOLIM: Maria Christaline Fernandes, month's mind.
FATORDA: Assis Francisco Noronha, 3rd anniversary.
MARGAO: Royston Pacheco, first anniversary.
MERCES/GERMANY/PORTUGAL: Calisto F C Joao Assis, 1st year.
SANCOALE: Menino John Barretto, month's mind.
Cortalim/Novo Palmar. Ex-Bharat Petroleum, Bombay
SIOLIM: Franklin Conrad Sequeira, 1st anniversary.
SIRLIM: Aquila Jac Rodrigues, 1st anniversary.
TALEIGAO: Nadia M Menezes, schoolgirl, died in accident.
First anniversary.
ST ESTEVAM: Luis Manuel Afonso, one week remembrance.
Carmita Pacheco, third anniversary.

GOANET NEWS BYTES NEEDS VOLUNTEERS

If you can compile Goa-related and expat-related news from
across the world, get in touch with [EMAIL PROTECTED] You can
o Compile news from diverse Goa/expat sources for us.
o Write a regular feature for GNN (like Daisy's cuisine column)
o Popularise Goanet News Bytes among friends, or via the media
o Help in any other way you think will help GNN grow.

A big thank you to those already helping: Daisy, Bosco,
Avelino, Gabe and others...

||g |||o |||a |||n |||e |||t ||   Issue compiled by

Copyleft Goanet 2005 http://www.creativecommons.org You may
reproduce this ezine in its entirety, with credits retained.

Goanet, the net-worker of all networks. Stay in touch.