2008 Toronto International Goan Convention
Theme: Goan Identity And Networking Today.
http://2008goanconvention.com/index.php

Mario Miranda Festival, July 24-26,  2008 Old GMC Building
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2008-July/077732.html

My brother Staff Sergeant Tate: A tribute from Goa

By Augusto Pinto
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

My brother Tertuliano Antonio Pinto, or Tate as we called him
then, and Tony now, was born in Nairobi, Kenya, the eldest
son of Marcelo and Jasmina. Evylyn Pinto-Willis is our
sister. He was married to the late Flora Mascarenhas and has
a 19-year-old daughter Michelle.

As I arrived on this planet 13 years after Tate, my early
memories consist mainly of him rushing off to school, and
later work, and after that was over, rushing off to some
sports field; after which he would come back in stinking
stockings and dirty boots.

He loved sports, and was goalkeeper of the Crusaders football
team. Later in the army he was to be football and hockey
goalkeeper and rugby wing half. He was a good athlete, first
a middle distance runner, later taking up cross country
racing and marathons.

When his knees gave him trouble in later years, he took to
race walking. In fact on Easter Sunday this year, he was in
Assam, representing Goa in the 25 km walk at the National
Veteran Athletics Meet. Oh yes, there was also squash, and
most especially golf, for which he had a special passion.

He was educated at Dr Ribeiro's Goan School. I suppose that
he must have been reasonably well liked and diligent, for one
of his classmates Afra Fernandes (nee DeMello) wrote," I
remember him as a friendly classmate but not as mischievous
as some of us.  I did manage to crib some of his homework on
a few occasions and I'm sure it's because of that I managed
to get through a few exams!!!" Another classmate, Rashmi
Patwardhan wrote, "I remember him fondly as a simple, humble
and nice person."

But I recall he had the reputation of being a 'responsible'
and 'disciplined' person. That is, whenever something in the
neighborhood or school went wrong, he would be held
responsible, whether he had committed the mischief, or as was
quite often likely, he hadn't.

Perhaps he used to become the fall guy because, on the one
hand he would stand up to authority and take punishment if
required without flinching, and on the other hand he would
not tattle on the real culprits. The discipline came because
when the complaints arrived, my mother would always take them
as the Gospel truth.

          It could be that this regime of responsibility and
          discipline drew Tate to England to join the British
          Armed Forces. These are qualities required in
          abundance there. This decision brought dismay to
          our parents who wanted him to take up some
          white-collar job, and not risk having his head
          blown off by the I.R.A.

He first joined the Royal Airforce (RAF) Regiment or 'Rock
Apes' as they were known due their numerous tours of duty in
Gibraltar. Then he moved to the army and served in R.E.M.E.
-- the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers where he was
selected in the Parachute Brigade.

His close friend John Downes tells me, "In signing up for
service with the Paras and duly earning the right to wear the
coveted 'Red Beret' plus 'wings' we earned an extra £1.50 a
day 'jump pay' and being also technically qualified we earned
more than our counterparts in the infantry!"

          Whilst in the British army, Tate became a confirmed
          Anglophile. There he first found out that
          Tertuliano and Tate were both names which his
          British mates would find odd. So he went and
          changed his name from Tertuliano Antonio Pinto
          (Tate) to Antonio Tertuliano Pinto (Tony).

I suppose he was good in the army, for they awarded him a
British Empire medal. Tony penned some of his army
experiences down in a book called Operation Welsh Castle.
Hopefully that will be published some day.

After he retired from the army at the age of 40, he came down
to Goa and constructed a house in Benaulim. Knowing the
peculiarities of the denizens of both Moira and Benaulim,
people used to wonder if that was what made him extra wise.
Actually we are gaunkars of Sangolda.

He persisted in his British habits of getting up at 4 a.m. in
the morning and having his supper by 6.30. Unlike most Goans,
he would treat all his fellows, whether rich or poor, Hindu
or Christian, Brahmin or Sudra as equals.

          To illustrate this, on his walks by the Benaulim
          beach, whenever he saw a fisherman he would assist
          him in pulling in the nets. One day one of them
          offered him a job thinking he was down and out, for
          Tony used to dress very simple. That same evening
          that fisherman met him again at a shack, and from
          the look on his face, was rather surprised to see
          Tony driving a jeep (in those days you had to be
          well off to afford one).

He was quite involved in socially constructive causes. He was
Vice-Chairman of the Benaulim Environmental Trust; he was
involved with M.A.R.G. -- the voluntary organization involved
with traffic issues; he was very much into Master Athletics;
and organizing and coaching youngsters at sports; even as he
turned 60 this year, he was instrumental in setting up a
Senior Citizen's Organisation for Goans. In the last few
years, I also noticed that he was getting more religious.

In Benaulim he must have been a piquant figure, often
preferring to walk to Margao, rather than take his car. And
he had an opinion about everything - from nuclear
proliferation, to how to walk on the roads and would
passionately argue his case often at the risk of creating
enemies. As our brother-in-law Andrew says, whereas 800
million Indians believe that one must walk on the left hand
side of the road, Tony insisted that they should walk against
the flow of the traffic. [BTW, Tony was right.] He would
habitually fire off letters to the newspapers expounding his
views on all these different issues.

          He had his share of misfortunes. After his wife
          Flora died tragically young, he was both father and
          mother to Michelle. He tried his utmost to give her
          the best he could without indulging in anything
          wasteful. It must be very painful for her to again
          bear this loss at this young age.

There is a saying in Konkani,"Mel'le mhoshik bara sher doodh"
that loosely translates 'Once a buffalo has died, the owners
will claim that she used to give buckets of milk' I do not
want to say this; I do not want to pretend that Tony was some
sort of mahatma. He had his failings and he made his
mistakes. But then so have I my failings, and so am I making
my mistakes. So who am I to sit in judgment over him?

The one thing I most envy my elder brother is his friends.
The number of people who called, sent messages and came to
visit him from far and wide amazed me. Many from South Goa
thought it worth the while to travel to Moira to keep his
spirits up. Two of his mates from the army, John Downes and
Allan Wainwright, specially flew down from England to comfort
him when they heard of his last illness. Another couple, Ake
and Annette Heljemo came from Sweden to pay their respects.

          I was to witness his last days and am proud to say
          that he bore his suffering with great fortitude.
          Till the last he simply did not allow himself the
          luxury of crying out in pain although it was
          evident on his face that he was in agony, and he
          tried to be as cooperative as possible. In fact I
          think that for this fiercely independent person
          what must have been more distressing than the pain
          from the cancer was the fact that he had to now
          depend on others for the simplest of things.

I'd like to conclude with the words of Mervyn Fernandes, one
of his classmates who wrore, "I know Tate enjoyed walking.
I'm sure he's up there in peace taking long walks with the
source of his being and all those dear to him who have also
left this world."

May his soul rest in peace.

--
Augusto Pinto is a writer, reviewer and lecturer in Goa and
can be contacted at 40, Novo Portugal, Moira, Bardez, Goa,