2008 Toronto International Goan Convention
Theme: Goan Identity And Networking Today.
http://2008goanconvention.com/index.php

Mario Miranda Festival, July 24-26,  2008 Old GMC Building
http://lists.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet-goanet.org/2008-July/077732.html

THE ACCIDENTAL ACTIVIST

How to get a voter's ID and keep your sanity

By Venita Coelho
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A year ago I was a Hindi film writer and my biggest battles
were fought with producers in trying to keep item numbers out
of my scripts. One year of GBA later ... my battles are with
the Panchayat, the Block Development Officer, the Town and
Country Planning Department... all entities that in my
earlier life I was hazily aware existed, but what were they
for beat me. Ah me! The innocence of my youth.

This blog is the story of an accidental activist. Who
wandered all unaware, an innocent wet behind the ears, into
the Goa Bachao Abhiyaan. A year later the ears are grimy from
lack of washing.

Where's the time?! There's amendment 16 and 16A to the TCP
Act to be understood... there's the Panchayati Raj Act 1994
to be read... there's the awareness campaign for the
village... there's the interim report of the Task Force...
there's the irate letter to the Editor over mega projects.

Phew!

>From Bollywood to Bachao, from item songs to activism - it's
been a tumultuous journey. And a perilous one. The most
innocent step can plunge you into a host of bewildering
complications.

Take the other morning. It started all so innocently with a
notice in the papers. The Govt. of Goa were pleased to inform
all lazy bums like myself who have never bothered to register
to vote that we could now go forth and get a voters I.D. from
beside the Fisheries office.

My friend Tanya phoned me a few minutes later with the latest
update on the warfront we have opened with the Panchayat. The
Gram Sabha is coming up and it's no holds barred right now.
The Panchayat has decided that she and I would not be allowed
to speak at the Gram Sabha. According to Regulation X,
Subsection Y, Amendment Z, those who do not have a voters ID
are not allowed to air their opinions in the Sabha. And we
had aired ours loud and long in the last one to the great
embarrassment of the Panchas.

'We have to get a voters ID right now!' cried Tanya, and a
few moments later we were seated in my jeep driving through
pouring rain, wondering where on earth the Fisheries office
was.

With impeccable logic Tanya pointed out it had to do with
fish, so it should be on the river front. And she was right.
We spotted it long before we expected to, thanks to the
enormous line, three deep that snaked around the Caravela
office and reached all the way to Quarter Deck.

Our hearts sank. Fat ones, thin ones, soggy ones, dry ones,
ones with umbrellas, ones with fellas -- they were all
clutching little bits of paper and standing patiently in the
pouring rain.

We got off to enquire.

One question and we had a dozen different replies. One
ponderous and informed looking fellow insisted we were in the
wrong place. We could only join this line to have ourselves
photographed for our Voters I.D. after we had been verified
at the Mamlatdars office. And we could only do that after we
had applied and appeared in the revised voters list. And we
could only do that after we had applied in triplicate with
everything including the nickname that our mothers called us
on the form.

Vibrating with information overload, we fought our way to the
top of the line and the font of knowledge. Inside was a
scrum. Several fisherwomen looked highly militant at our line
barging and we pleaded we just wanted some information. We
found it after a fifteen minute search in a small notice
tacked to the door. Mr. Information was right. We had to go
to the Mamlatdars office first.  Determined to win this
battle... we went forth.

The Mamlatdar's office looked innocuous enough from the
pavement. But entering it was like descending into Dante's
hell. The power was off.

We found ourselves stepping into a pitch black cavern that
was packed with sweaty jostling people all waving forms. They
were milling around three desks behind which helpless ladies
in dresses were vainly commanding 'Back! Back! Please get in
line!' It was too dark to see any notices.

What people lacked in clarity of vision they made up for by
volume, yelling inquiries at the hapless clerks at the tops
of their voices. We took deep breaths and plunged into the
perspiring mass.

          Several hard fought minutes later, battered and
          bruised, it was my turn to reach the desk and yell
          at the clerk demanding to know what the heck first
          time applicants were supposed to do? The clerk
          snapped impatiently at us. They weren't even
          accepting first time voter forms for another ten
          days. 'Only between 26th July and 9th August'. And
          not even here. At the mamlatdar that was closest to
          us. Mapusa in this case.

Tanya and I emerged from the Inferno heated to combustion
point. Why couldn't the Government put that on the notice?
God knows how many first time voters were literally groping
in the dark right now.

Tanya proved to be of stronger mettle than me. I was all set
to retire to a nearby pub and recover over a beer. She
refused. 'I'm getting this licked today' she said 'We're
going to the Mapusa Mamlatdar now!' I meekly changed gears
and headed out.

There was a bit of a traffic jam at the Mamlatdars office so
Tanya hopped off to make enquiries while I parked. Then I
discovered the reason for the traffic jam. A government
vehicle was parked athwart the road, regardless of all rules
and regulations. It had caused a merry pile up.

I was the second of about twenty cars that had come in
through the 'IN' gate and found there was no way to get to
the 'OUT' gate unless the car was moved. After five minutes
of futile honking I hopped out and inspected the car. It said
'Additonal Director of Panchayats'. Enquiries revealed his
office was upstairs, so up I went.

I accosted the first clerk I saw and explained the problem
and asked him to have the car moved. 'I will send the man. Do
not worry,' he said. Twenty futile minutes later, up I went
again. The clerk said, 'We cannot move the car'.

By this time I was starting to simmer. Where was that damn
Additional Director to whom this car belonged? I spotted his
office and walked in, excusing myself and explaining the
problem. I could hardly make myself heard thanks to the
chorus of frustrated drivers honking madly downstairs. The
Additional Director took his time finishing his paperwork,
then looked at me and said smugly 'if you request me, I might
to do it.'

Might??! Might? Might as well wave a red flag at a bull.
Through gritted teeth I explained that it was a public road,
that he had no right to block traffic, all we were asking him
to do was move his car two feet to the left. His driver
arrived and said flatly 'I'm not moving the car.' And why was
this? 'When we came this morning somebody else had parked
crooked so we had to park crooked. Now we will not move the
car.'

I told him he had held up twenty drivers. He refused. I told
him to give me the keys I would move the car. He refused. I
told him what he was doing was wrong. 'Do what you want,' he
said with the arrogance of those in long term government jobs.

At which point I am sorry to admit I had a total melt down.
When I came to my senses five minutes later I had been
standing in the middle of the office yelling at the top of my
voice that they had no right to do this! They were government
servants here to help us, not obstruct us! That they were
arrogant asses who inconvenienced the public! Was all their
self-respect wrapped around moving one stupid car two feet to
the left?!!

Everybody was gaping at me. There were amused smiles on their
faces. How lovely. They'd succeeded in their primary mission
which is to obstruct the public and drive them to utter
frustration. Did they move the car? No.

Twenty frustrated and tired drivers finally reversed out of
the IN gate into the face of the oncoming traffic because one
arrogant government official refused to move his car two
feet. How's that as a metaphor for the way government
interacts with citizens?

Sometimes I wonder why I'm an activist. But when I find
myself standing in the middle of a government office, reduced
to yelling at the top of my voice in sheer frustration... I
know I've done the right thing.

For those of you who still want to get a voters ID after
reading this account here is how to do so in several
not-so-easy stages. On a less flippant note, let me urge you
to get registered to vote. We are the reason we have the
rotten governance we do. If enough of us middle class voters
got around to voting, there would be a sea change in election
patterns. So go on, get up you lazy bum and head out!

1. Go to your nearest Mamlatdars office and collect the form.

2. Fill it in. Most important is the column that says
'Relatives who have a voters ID'. If you have none, get the
nearest neighbours with a voters ID to give you their names
and the numbers of their ID's. There are two columns that
will leave you mystified that say 'Part Number in the roll'
and 'Serial Number in the roll'. Fear not! This can only be
filled at the Mamlatdar's office where they will give you a
copy of the electoral roll and tell you find these two names
on it. The numbers will be there.

3. Get proof of residence ( Form 1/14, Electricity Bill,
Telephone Bill, Sale Deed, House Tax receipt etc)

4. Get to your Mamlatdar between 26th July and 9th August.
Get them to verify your form and accept it. Forms are also
being accepted at Panchayats and at Police Stations. But the
officers sitting there have little idea of how to fill the
form and you might get it wrong.

5. When your form is accepted you will be given a hearing
date. Be there at the Mamlatdars on that date. If your form
is rejected at the hearing- tough luck. If not, then proceed
as follows.

6. Take the receipt and head to the Election Commissioners
office in Panaji. Right next to the Fisheries Department
which is right next to where the Caravela docks.

7. Get your photograph taken.

8. Pray to God you did it all right. Enquire from ponderous
and well informed looking man what you should have done in
the first place.

All the above will be updated as I go through the process
myself. Right now I am at step 5.

Ha! There's a footnote. Two days later there was an item in
the Herald which I read with the hair rising on my forearms.
The Government. wished to inform the public that there had
been a problem with their data base. All voters who had made
their voters ID card before 2000 A.D. would have to do it all
over again! I sat there gasping.

The phone rang. It was Tanya sounding smug and righteous.
'See? We're not lazy bums who didn't get our Voters ID's
done.  We were instinctively waiting for the right time. If
we done it when we had to ..  we'd have had to do it all over
again!!!'

What can you say but... whew!

--
'You must be the change you want to see in the world' -
Gandhi

Venita Coelho is based at Casa Coelho House No. 876
Bambordem, Moira V.P. Goa - 403507
http://savegoa.com/blog/accidental_activist/
                     **** http://www.GOANET.org ****

                    Tri Continental Film Festival 2008