attacking our interior
villages.  We want people to
get back to farming, and show
them that it's a profitable
endeavour."

POST AUTHOR: RINCHEN NORBU WANGCHUK
POST PUBLISHED: AUGUST 1, 2020
POST CATEGORY: FARMING GOA

Nestor Rangel, a 52-year-old agriculturist, and his team,
have helped 500 families in his native village of St Estevam
to convert fallow and unused land into productive organic
paddy fields.

          Like most villages in Goa, the picturesque village
          on the river Mandovi was once a prime target for
          real estate developers looking at parcels of arable
          land lying fallow, to build concrete commercial and
          residential establishments.  The village was even
          earmarked by developers for a coal transportation
          carriageway.

Nestor's successful model of community farming, which began
in earnest during the kharif season of 2018, is being seen as
a means of obstructing the rapid conversion of farmland into
concrete jungles.  This has spawned similar initiatives in
different Goan villages with local communities mindful of the
need to protect their land and ecology.

Starting the Journey

An electronic engineer by trade, Nestor spent most of his
life away from St Estevam in cities like Mumbai and
subsequently Vadodara, where he was the manager of a factory
owned by a Japanese multinational corporation AIWA
manufacturing consumer electronics.  In 2002, the factory
shut down with the Japanese MNC closing shop around the world.

After the company shut down, he returned to Goa to open an
electronics service centre and showroom dealing in consumer
electronic products.  With service centres in Margao and
Panaji, he had about 40-odd employees working for him.

          Everything changed in 2007, he decided to shut shop
          and venture into farming.  Just before getting out
          of the electronics business, Nestor bought a
          seven-acre strip of land in Thane, a village in
          Goa's Sattari Taluka.  Today, this "strip of land"
          which extends upto 40 acres, includes a dairy, goat
          farm, a mango plantation of 700+ trees and a
          massive cashew orchard.

However, after Nestor began expanding his farm in 2007,
Father Bismarque Dias, an activist priest once known for
taking on the state's notorious land mafia, urged him to
bring back farming to St Estevam. "He was always after me to
start a community farm project in St. Estevam, and visited
my farm many times," he recalls.

For the past four decades, residents of the village had given
up farming to take up more lucrative work aboard ships
sailing abroad or in cities like Mumbai.

          "Knowing of my involvement in agriculture, he
          wanted me to do something in St Estevam.  Land all
          over Goa is being bought and occupied by people
          from outside the state, who are constructing
          massive structures atop these pristine fields.  Our
          fields have been lying fallow for 30-40 years since
          most locals work on ships sailing abroad or in
          Mumbai.  Most Goans are hardly dependent on
          agriculture.  However, If we don't practice
          farming, the government will say that the land is
          merely lying vacant, take it away and sell it to
          the highest bidder.  We decided to fight back by
          cultivating our lands," mentions Nestor.

Khazan Farming, Paddy and the Comunidade

One way of bringing back agriculture to this picturesque
river island was to revert to tradition.  Past generations of
Goans had long practiced an estuarine agriculture system
called Khazan, "a carefully designed topo-hydro-engineered
agro-aquacultural ecosystem mainly based on the regulation
salinity and tides," states a report in the Down to Earth
magazine.

"Khazans are reclaimed lands from the river or the sea.  A
created network of bunds protects the agricultural fields and
adjoining villages from tidal flows," notes this description.

          One crop which can grow in these saline conditions
          is paddy.  "It's a pretty versatile crop, which can
          grow in saltish and brackish water.  So, we decided
          to take up paddy cultivation since we also receive
          sufficient amounts of rain.  This was sometime in
          the 2017-18 kharif season, and for the community
          project we took up 500,000 square metres," says Nestor.

Underpinning the community-level exercise led by Nestor and
his team, was a mechanical cultivation process for ploughing,
transplanting and harvesting, considering prohibitively high
labour costs and manpower shortages.  Helping them in this
endeavour were Father George Quadros, a pioneer of mechanised
paddy cultivation in South Goa, the State agricultural
department and its subsidiary Agricultural Technology
Management Agency (ATMA).

"We have gone into total mechanisation working with paddy and
concentrating on the fallow lands of Goa.  More specifically,
we are working with the transplanter to take away the
drudgery, high cost and non-availability of labour. Farmers
get their fields ploughed and ready, we as service providers,
bring the transplanter to their fields. The transplanter
covers one acre per hour, which is tremendous and saves the
farmer 50% on their original cost. There are not enough
service providers at the moment, but once this grows
agriculture in Goa will be more or less community based,"
says Father George, who is the project director at Don Bosco
Loutolim Society.

For the project, the community employed transplanting
machines manufactured by Kubota, a Japanese company, in which
they have to put seedlings in trays. These trays are then
loaded into the transplanter machine, which picks up the
seedlings and transfers them onto the land.  It can cover
about 30,000 square metres in about 8 hours with just two
persons operating it and thus cuts down on labour costs.  No
chemical fertilizers or pesticides were used in the process,
and for harvesting they employed a harvester machine.

PHOTO: The St Estevam Community Project (Image courtesy Facebook)

          "To purchase this equipment, we needed subsidies
          from the government.  The only time we used labour
          was for de-weeding, an important part of the
          process since weeds end up taking up nutrition
          meant for your rice.  Most people use chemicals for
          de-weeding, but we decided not to because there is
          a lot of biodiversity in our fields like snakes,
          crocodiles, fish, etc.  Instead of putting them at
          risk, we decided to weed manually," says Nestor.

It's a bit on the expensive side, but the community was going
for an organic project. Labour for weeding came from
Sattari. After the cashew season came to end in May, women
labourers working on Nestor's farm in Thane had no
employment. He put 10 of them to work on the community farm
in St Estevam, driving them 40 km each way on his truck.
Each of these women got about Rs 30,000-35,000 after they
helped with de-weeding.

          "In our first harvest, we got about 75,000 kg of
          paddy.  There are agencies that procure paddy from
          farmers at government approved price which is about
          Rs 20 per kg.  Selling it at that price, farmers
          lose money because their cost of cultivation works
          out to around Rs 4.5-5 per square metre.  Without
          subsidies, it goes upto Rs 8-9 per square metre.
          If we sell the paddy as is to a government agency,
          we lose money.  Instead, we decided to process it
          and convert that paddy into rice.  The rice we grow
          is a nutritious brown colored variety called
          Jyothi.  I took this rice to a mill in Maharashtra'
          Sindhudurg district, which helped us convert paddy
          into rice.  From the total amount of paddy, they
          extracted about 60% into rice.  The rice wasn't
          polished to retain its nutritional value.  After we
          processed the rice, we packaged it and sold it all
          over the state for Rs 60 per kg," informs Nestor.

"Communities in Goa have come together to farm their lands.
If communities don't come together, mechanisation doesn't
work since the use of such equipment requires big areas.
Mechanisation saves time, cost and brings efficiency to the
whole process," says Father George.

Capital Generation and the Comunidade

Capital for this entire project came from the village
residents.  Historically, Goans practiced a distinct form of
community farming called the gaonkaria system which the
Portuguese colonists overhauled and rechristened into what is
known today as comunidade.

Land was collectively owned by the village and parceled out
by an administrative unit at the local community level.  At a
community level they would allocate land to a family where
they could build a house or farm to sustain their family.

Each family was allocated about an acre or so by the core
administrative unit, which handled the leasing out of the
land to its residents. The land could not be leased out to
non-residents. If a woman married a man from another
village, she would lose her gaonkari (village resident)
status, and would have to register as a gaonkari in her
husband's village.

          "When India reclaimed Goa from the Portuguese, they
          brought in their rules and unfortunately the person
          who was tilling the land now became a tenant.
          Earlier, if you didn't farm on the land for
          two-three years, it would go back to the community,
          which would reallocate that land to somebody else.
          Once community owned lands, they were now under
          individual tenants.  People have their names on a
          land document called Form I & XIV, which marks them
          out as tenants.  Out to make a quick buck, many
          sell off the land to the highest bidder.
          Naturally, the old rule of giving the land back to
          the community went away.  That's one of the reasons
          why farming stopped in Goa," informs Nestor.

Backed by the entire village, Nestor and his team collected
money from the people.  Even his family are tenants on one
acre of comunidade land.

"As per the landholding on Form I and IV, we took Rs 3.50 per
person per square metre.  If somebody has 1,000 square
metres, they would give Rs 3500.  All this money was
collected under the 'Ilha Verde Farmers' Club'.  There were
about four of us organising everything in the club because
most didn't engage in farming," he says.

          Everyone in the village is part of the farmers'
          club.  Each one paid the group Rs 3.50 per square
          metre as per their landholding to start the work
          since they didn't have any other source of capital.
          This is how they generated capital.

"After processing the paddy into brown rice, we managed to
pay back everybody and there was some additional money left
in hand (Rs 200,000-300,000 as per some estimates), which we
used for repair works of structures like the manos, which are
sluice gates that control the flow of water to and from dikes
and prevent salt water from entering.  It's like a dam
system.  So, we used the money to repair these sluice gates
and even construct new ones.  If these sluice gates break,
the salt water from the river floods the fields making them
uncultivable because the soil becomes too saline even for
rice cultivation," he notes.

More than Farming

          For the next season in 2019-20, the St Estevam
          community doubled the area under cultivation to
          10,00,000 square metres.  Unfortunately, there was
          heavy flooding that season and the village was
          waterlogged for about 20 days.  All the rice
          rotted, and they lost about Rs 28,00,000-30,00,000
          last season.  Till now, they haven't been
          compensated by the government.

This year, as a result of COVID-19, a lot of male residents
who work on ships abroad, came back because there was no
business on cruise lines.  They had taken up 1 lakh square
metres this year just on a trial basis, and things seem to be
progressing nicely.

          "The St Estevam experiment has given the entire
          agricultural sector in Goa hope that mechanisation,
          land pooling, community farming and social
          marketing can work and make Goa's rice fields a
          working reality once again," said former
          agricultural officer Miguel Braganza to Scroll.in.

However, Nestor's endeavour isn't merely limited to St
Estevam.  He is today consulting with other villages like
Santa Cruz and Dongri who want to emulate their model of
community farming.

Meanwhile, he also picks up paddy from other farmers engaged
in Khazan farming and facilitates the sale of 10,000 kg of
rice every month.  He sells rice only from Khazan lands
because it tastes different with river minerals.  Every two
months he processes 25,000 kg of paddy and takes it to Kudal,
Maharashtra, for processing.

          "Maybe due to the pandemic, since other industries
          have shut down, many Goans are going back to
          farming.  But I hope this trend continues.  Our
          main aim wasn't to grow rice, but to get our fields
          cultivated so that builders don't eye them.
          Rampant construction is resulting in hills being
          cut and pristine farmland destroyed.  With our
          cities in tatters, builders have now started
          attacking our interior villages.  We want people to
          get back to farming, and show them that it''s a
          profitable endeavour.  In my own farm, I employ
          about seven people and pay them each Rs 15,000 a
          month in addition to a free litre of milk everyday.
          This is a project to save our fields and we are
          using agriculture as a vehicle to do that,"
          emphasises Nestor.

"My village doesn't depend on farming financially.  This is
about protecting our lands from rampant construction.  My
activism isn't protesting on the roads, but growing paddy on
the fields and taking them back from builders," he adds.

(Edited by Gayatri Mishra)

tbi-share-icon Spread Positivity : Share this story with
friends.

Help us grow our Positive News Movement

We at The Better India want to showcase everything that is
working in this country.  By using the power of constructive
journalism, we want to change India – one story at a time.
If you read us, like us and want this positive news movement
to grow, then do consider supporting us via the following
buttons:

https://www.thebetterindia.com/234433/goa-farming-how-to-rice-village-nestor-rangel-builder-lobby-construction-india-nor41/