inister moots massage on air, A-I says "no oil"

By Deepshikha Ghosh, Indo-Asian News Service

New Delhi, May 20 (IANS) Trying to catch up with world class in-flight
services, India's flagship carrier Air-India (A-I) wants to start giving
massages to its long-suffering clients, but it does not know how.

A-I officials Monday reacted cautiously to Civil Aviation Minister Syed
Shahnawaz Hussain's reported plan to introduce the much sought after Kerala
massage on board.

Hussain's plan features a Kerala-style Ayurvedic message that would have
masseurs giving the whole body treatment with herbal oils. The minister
reportedly targeted at an experience unmatched by any other airline.

The idea is also to upstage the Virgin Atlantic airline that recently
introduced a massage in a range of services aimed at treating the customer
like a king.

But A-I officials say oil and anything close would be a complete no-no on
any aircraft.

"If it is the Kerala massage that the minister is talking about, then it is
impossible on flight as it would spread a stink in the whole aircraft," an
A-I official told IANS from Mumbai.

But he said the airline could contemplate the Virgin-style massage.

"That is a dry treatment, which only has masseurs applying pressure with
their fingers. I don't see how we can try to be different from that."

So A-I officials were Monday making several calls to clarify matters from
the office of the minister, who is currently touring the Gulf.

"We need to see what the minister has suggested an accordingly go about it.
He has also talked about trained masseurs from Kerala, but we don't know
what exactly is the plan," the official remarked.

Since Hussain says his proposal had the hearty approval of the cabinet and
MPs - who are mandated to take the A-I for their foreign tours -- the
airline may have to start its groundwork soon.

The airline also plans to introduce "slumberette" or 180 degree reclining
seats and personal televisions for passengers.

An airline spokesman also said the menu, criticised most often by hapless
commuters, was being completely revamped.

Dubbed the "Maharaja' for its famous mascot, A-I has been in the financial
doldrums with mounting losses due to lack of fleet, fuel-guzzling ageing
Boeing aircraft, excess wage bill and employee benefits.

Poor in-flight services have also placed it on the bottom of the scale.
After failing to attract buyers to offload a part of its stake in the
airline, the government is trying to rejuvenate the airline.

--Indo-Asian News Service


=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-W-E-B---S-I-T-E-=-=-=
 To Subscribe/Unsubscribe from GoaNet  |  http://www.goacom.com/goanet
===================================================================
 For (un)subscribing or for help, Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Dont want so many e=mails?  Join GoaNet-Digest instead !
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Help support non-commercial projects in Goa by advertizing!!
        *               *               *               *
                        Your ad here !!

Reply via email to