Death of Hugo Souza.

The sad news of death of Hugo Souza is terrible.  My association and contact 
with him though for a shortwhile came thru Gurunath Kelekar who then was 
editing his Konkani Weekly Goencho Mog. Gurunath and he were both close 
friends devising lot of ideas for the cause of Konkani. Being a more 
knowledgable person Hugo was an asset thru his wisdom, knowledge and 
sincerity.  That time I was Kuwait correspondent of Goencho Mog and while in 
1979/80 I was on vacation in Goa went to meet Gurunath Kelekar at his Press, 
I met this great soul of Goa Victor Souza a great lover of Goa, Konkani, 
Goan culture, history, tradition and everything best in Goa.  A week later I 
went to see him at his residence at Raia where he was living alone and was 
very much known in that locality. Motorcycle pilots were his best friends 
who were everyday transporting him from his home to the bus stand.  During 
my short conversation with him I realised his deep love for Goa and 
everything concerning Goa.  His encouragement and support to me to carry on 
with the campaing for Konkani in Kuwait was a big booster.  I still remember 
the eulogy he made of me over my activities for the cause of Goa and Konkani 
during our conversation.  I very much value his comments and praises he 
showered on me.  He was very much thankful to Gurunath Kelekar for 
introducing me to him.

It is a pity that persons like Hugo are getting into extinction from Goan 
scene.  His love for Goa and Konkani will always remember in my mind.  As a 
real philosopher he silently slipped from Goa and silenty took refuge 
somewhere else to die a peaceful death.  It is a pity to know that a man who 
came to make Goa his final resting place had to die in Himachal Pradesh, 
unsung - unpraised and unadored.  In his death Goa lost a great patriot and 
a great son.  May his soul rest in peace.

A. Veronica Fernandes,
Kuwait.



"Taking the liberty to circulate this note, from Samir Kelekar. I knew Hugo
-- but due to geography perhaps we didn't have as much contact we should
have had. In the few meetings we had, I was impressed by Hugo's commitment
to issues like human rights. He always sent in that fifteen paise postcard
to appreciate an issue of NewsSpeak (a critical journal about journalism in
Goa, brought out by the Goa Union of Journalists) when we came out with
these in the late 'eighties. We need more Hugos in this globe. FN

Subject: Death: Hugo Souza
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]


Hi Guys:
Our dear friend Hugo Souza of Raia, Goa has passed
away. He died in the mission hospital in Himachal
Pradesh. He probably died of cancer.
He had left Goa and all of us a year back, to what
he called an unknown destination.


Personally, I am deeply indebted to this man who
taught me so many things that I cannot even recount.
A tremendous credit for what i am today goes to
this man who brought out the very best in me always.


He was a number one philosopher, who edited the
first konkani daily in free Goa. A rank holder
from Xavier's bombay, he passed his LLB with a gold
medal. He decided to come to Goa leaving Mumbai
to contribute to free Goa. His logic was so
penetrating
that he could beat any one at it.


His commitment, integrity and reputation at whatever
he did was unsurpassable. This man could have been
anything and anyone but he decided to be with his
own people and perhaps spent a major time of his
life dealing wih kids like me and help us grow up.


His belief in india and its potential was tremendous.
He was adept in a range of fields but he basically
called himself a theoretician. Right from reading
puzzle books of Martin Gardener, to discussing
world politics, astronomy, law, history, philosophy,
sociology, science you name it, this guy had
very few peers worldwide.


He gives me as much power in his death that he
had given in his life.


regards,
Sam "


_________________________________________________________________
Join the world�s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-W-E-B---S-I-T-E-=-=-=
 To Subscribe/Unsubscribe from GoaNet  |  http://www.goacom.com/goanet
===================================================================
 For (un)subscribing or for help, Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Dont want so many e=mails?  Join GoaNet-Digest instead !
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Help support non-commercial projects in Goa by advertizing!!
        *               *               *               *
                        Your ad here !!

Reply via email to