Dear Santosh,

You write of NASA:
"They are not trying to falsify the 
hypothesis that there is no water on Mars." 

True. They are trying to falsify the dogma that life
is found ONLY on Earth. That is the significance of
their effort.

Imagine an application for funds that reads something
like this:

This project will confirm that life is found only on
earth. We propose to do this by travelling widely on
earth and recording the occurence of living creatures.
This will confirm that life is found only on earth.

If I received such an application from a person free
of learning disabilities, I would recommend that the
applicant read and understand Popper. A lot of money,
resources and effort are wasted on trivial
inductionist/confirmationist research of that sort.
Worse, induction and confirmation lock people into
dogmas, whether or not these dogmas correspond to
reality. Falsification leads to scientific discovery.

Why not read Popper's books on the logic of scientific
discovery? (His conjectures about mind and body are
not designed to explain his ideas on scientific
discovery. You haven't really read Popper on
scientific discovery.) I'm confident you'll get it in
the end. Until you do, you are likely to operate well
within your potential as a scientist. I would hate to
see such waste of talent.

Regards,

Joel
 
PS A single black swan does NOT confirm that all swans
are black. It falsifies the dogma that all swans are
white. Think about it.









__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-W-E-B---S-I-T-E-=-=-=
 To Subscribe/Unsubscribe from GoaNet  |  http://www.goacom.com/goanet
===================================================================
 For (un)subscribing or for help, Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Dont want so many e=mails?  Join GoaNet-Digest instead !
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Help support non-commercial projects in Goa by advertizing!!
        *               *               *               *
                        Your ad here !!

Reply via email to