--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "J. Almeida" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>False. The word you are looking for is "reverse", not
>converse. Here are the logically correct statements.
>
>Statement: Life is confined to earth
>Re-statement: Life cannot be found outside earth
>
>Those are logically equivalent. State it either way.
>Take your pick. Falsify either one. In either case,
>one discovery of life outside earth suffices.
>

Joel, you are right. The only way you can defend falsification is by
playing word games. 

In writing what you wrote in your last post, I hope you realize that
you have inadvertently "confirmed" my contention that all that this
fluffy, flimsy Popperian notion amounts to, is a silly dance of words. 

Knowing fully that you can only confirm and not falsify the
perfectly legitimate hypothesis that there can be life outside earth,
you rephrased it by merely adding a "not" to "can" to suit your
purpose. If you really think that you are making a substantive and
substantial point in doing that then I guess I would have to again
blame my poor mental capacity to appreciate that point.

You can play more word games if you like. But as far as I am
concerned, from the point of view of richness of ideas Popper is a
pauper. This I hope is my last sentence on falsification.

Cheers,

Santosh

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-W-E-B---S-I-T-E-=-=-=
 To Subscribe/Unsubscribe from GoaNet  |  http://www.goacom.com/goanet
===================================================================
 For (un)subscribing or for help, Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Dont want so many e=mails?  Join GoaNet-Digest instead !
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
 Help support non-commercial projects in Goa by advertizing!!
        *               *               *               *
                        Your ad here !!

Reply via email to