Below is what AVF wrote in goanet-digest 4015.

As it happens, I recently got the chance to meet veteran journo Alfred
D'Cruz, and we got acquainted. As a matter of curiosity, I wrote to the
octogenarian writer, to check up the veracity of what was stated below.

I was surprised to hear what he had to say: the version below is totally
incorrect, and Alfred had made no such comments. In fact, his mother died
in Bombay, he told me.

Please note, that I am not taking sides here between those who favour the
pre-1961 situation and those who favour the post-1961 scenario. In my
opinion, today trying to show that one side is better than the other is an
irrelevant debate. What matters is the quality of life that any regime (and
obviously those who act as its local representatives in Goa, taking
cover under various hues of political colours) can offer to every citizen
of this state.

But, in whatever position taken, the facts relied on to build the argument
have to be accurate. Just that.... FN

PS: It would be interesting for historians to study this understudied
period of Goa's trajectory, and weed out the facts from the myth.