Musician John Pandit rejects British honour

By Sanjay Suri, Indo-Asian News Service

London, June 29 (IANS) And at last now an Indian in Britain who has said no
to being honoured as what the British still like to call Member of the
British Empire (MBE).

For years Indians have forgotten their colonial past to vie for these titles
the British government doles out annually. The badges that declare Indians
members of the long gone "Empire" have become a status symbol.

Not for John Pandit, better known as Pandit G, from the angry band, the
Asian Dub Foundation. He was given an MBE in this year's honours list for
"services to the music industry." Pandit G has refused to accept the
"honour" because he says he does not believe in the honours system.

Pandit G is an angry musician anyway. The music is mixed with political
messages about racism in Britain and about contemporary difficulties in
India. Not something that could go with the title of Member of the British
Empire.

In rejecting the title he said: "I personally don't think it's appropriate.
I've never supported the honours system.

"There's no point in giving an individual (an honour). To bring people into
the establishment won't actually help the organisations."

--Indo-Asian News Service