Ongoing: Exhibition of paintings, Art Chamber, Calangute www.goa-art.com
Dec  14 onwards: Shireen Mody's Goa 2002 exhibition, Arpora. Tel 2276759
Dec  17, 18, 20: Indo-Portuguese furniture, lectures Fundacao  Ph 2230728
Jan  18-19: International kite carnival at Morgim beach, Pernem

Response to Jorge/Livia:
It has been my policy in general to never respond, because quibbling Goans
will carry on quibbling, no matter what. But I am making an exception once
again, because there are points that must be countered.
    I'm sorry,  Jorge, to shatter your illusions about the quality and
competence of your consul generals (I assume you are Portuguese from your
fierce and blinding patriotism). It might dishearten you to learn that one
of the former consuls was known to fudge expenses on travel and
entertainment so he/she could claim higher returns from your government.
Another had run up an enormous tab at a five star resort here entertaining
his jet-setting friends. The hotelier ( a repository of the  most
entertaining and useful information to us journalists) had some very anxious
months till your government agreed to clear the backlog. The same career
diplomat was later banished to Bosnia at the height of the ethnic comflict
there. One can sympathise with the relieved staff in your consulate here
who've set such high hopes on the present consul-general, said to be the
best candidate so far. If your government has achieved anything by way of
cultural/economic exchange (one is not referring to Fundacao Oriente) with
India through the efforts of previous consuls here,  we'd be glad to hear of
it.
    One last and final point: why journalists don't, and should not, reveal
their sources.
    It is an accepted norm in democratic countries that journalists protect
their sources in the larger interest of bringing to light the facts. Which
is why most democratic countries do not make it mandatory for the media to
make public their source of information even in the court. Take away this
practice and perhaps 80 per cent of the better stories would never see the
light of day. Let me remind you of the Nixon case. Would the corruption have
ever been exposed had it not been for Deep Throat?
   "Where is the proof?" is an argument we often hear from politicians on
the defensive. It is not for journalists to prove the corruption in
governtments. It is
for governments to clean up their acts at the slightest hint of a stink.--
Devika Sequeira.

***** CHRISTMAS PARTIES 2002 *****

Dec 14 - Goan Association of New Jersey, Inc., Somerset +1 (732) 599-7644
Dec 21 - GOA-LA, Los Angeles, +1 (714) 821-6168

Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a free party announcement