Ambitious plans drawn for women's soccer in India

By Qaiser Mohammad Ali, Indo-Asian News Service

New Delhi, Dec 18 (IANS) Women's football in India may not be as well
established as the men's version of the game, but things are looking up,
especially in the wake of the hugely popular film "Bend it like Beckham".

A private body established by a British national has drawn up ambitious
plans to start a schools' league in a few Indian states.

With the All India Football Federation (AIFF) indifferent to women's soccer,
the Indian Youth Soccer Association (IYSA) has taken upon itself the job of
spreading the gospel in a few satellite towns of Delhi before moving on to
other states.

Although there is a national tournament for women and a few states like West
Bengal, Manipur and Goa have established state-level tournaments, there is
no national league. The entire focus of the AIFF is on men's football, which
in any case is not in too good a shape.

Then came Gurinder Chadha's "Bend it Like Beckham", which has inspired many
girls in schools and colleges to play like the determined heroine of the
popular movie.

"We encourage girls in every project that we do," IYSA technical director
and founder Bill Adams told IANS. "The film has made a huge difference."

For a start, Adams will be organising a girls' league in Delhi from January
11. It will be the first of its kind in the Indian capital and will be meant
only for school students.

Adams' uncle Edward Spearitt played for England under legendary football
captain Bobby Robson in the 1970s.

Backed by 14 sponsors, including majors like Ambuja Cement, Bajaj Auto and
Godrej, Adams will then venture out of Delhi to other states.

"We will organise a league in Ghaziabad (on the Delhi-Uttar Pradesh border)
from next year and then our main sponsor Ambuja Cement wants us to organise
a similar tournament in Gujarat, where the company is headquartered,"
disclosed Adams.

IYSA already runs a camp for the poor children in Sat Tal near Nainital in
U.P. every summer. Every Friday, it organises a football game in Delhi that
is watched by some 5,000 street children.

Money is no problem for IYSA. "If you are honest and sincere, you can get
sponsors," said Adams of the top-of-the-line corporate houses he has roped
in.

Perhaps, encouraged by the response to Adams's efforts, the Delhi Soccer
Association (DSA) is also planning to start a state league for women.

"We may start it this year itself," said DSA secretary N.K. Bhatia. "But we
are facing two major problems, like with the men's league. Firstly, we do
not have enough grounds to hold matches and it is very difficult to get free
days to hold the state league in Delhi."

--Indo-Asian News Service

Ongoing: Exhibition of paintings, Art Chamber, Calangute www.goa-art.com
Dec  14 onwards: Shireen Mody's Goa 2002 exhibition, Arpora. Tel 2276759
Dec  17, 18, 20: Indo-Portuguese furniture, lectures Fundacao  Ph 2230728
Jan  18-19: International kite carnival at Morgim beach, Pernem