Dear Goanet Readers:

I have been member of Goanet for over a week, and I do
see a trend that leads me to ask following question:
Why are we as Goans bashing Portugal, instead of
accepting the historical facts without living in past?

Portugal , yes it was a colonial power and yes , India
invaded Goa in 1961 and did not give a choice to
Goans. Were Goans asked if they want to join the
Indian Union , were actual plebiscite done? India like
any modern state exhibits double standards. I see
these double standards in daily dealings with India's
minority dealings. Muslims and Catholics are often
marginalized. Where is the secularism of India when it
comes to Ayodhya Babri Masjid issue. Well, the
Archaelolgical Survey of India can not tell in
certaintly if actual temple existed. 

Now back to Goa, I think we as Goans must stand united
in order to preserve our language, culture and
religions. Indians from other parts of country are
rampantly settling in Goa, buying our land. Where is
the united voice needed for the preservation of our
cultural heritage and historical identity.

Why people are bashing Portuguese for their
Evangelism? Jesuits as a matter of fact our codifyed
the konkani language, if not for them who knows? We
would have been speaking sister language of Marathi?
Yes, there were forced conversions...and yes there was
a willing acceptance. Hinduism as we claim to be
original religion with all its bigotry and castes was
also brought by Aryans with their Vedas. So what right
we have to bash Portuguese? Please be united in our
cause of helping Goa and its plight. Yes, Goa was
handed on plate by Portugal in 1974. Yes, Portuguese
like Vassalo e Silva protected Panaji from its doom,
while suffering in Salazar's Prision. Was he awarded
any Presidential award by India?

One must do the reality check, before bashing
Portugal. I am not Portuguese, and I am not Catholic.
I am Hindu and I am ashamed of Hindu bigots using
religion to advance their own material purposes in
todays so called Secular India.

Rui Collacao please continue to express your feelings
about the issue of Indianization of Goa...This is a
charm of democracy. Please never stop expressing your
opinions on this forum. You see that I am amazed by
the fact that Goans bash Goans.Well that is called
multiplicity of opinions.

Only one request, please do not attack person, but
tackle the issue...

Namaste, Kind Regards,

Liladhar Pendse
USA 

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

##########################################################################
# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       #   
# PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/              #  
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #
##########################################################################

Reply via email to