From: Daisy & Lino Rodrigues <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: Frederick Noronha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [Goanet-news]WHAT'S COOKING: Something veg... Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:13:25 +0530
[Admin note: Our apologies for the delay in broadcasting this. Due to the glitch in the Goanet server last weekend, this was delayed.]
Hello everyone,
Happy Monday,
I hope you have all had a wonderful week. I also hope you have all had the
chance to try out the rice recipe that I submitted last week. Thank you all
for your e-mails and all the feedback- keep them coming. I will try my best
to accommodate all your requests and answer your questions to the best of my
knowledge. Here is yet another yummy recipe, which I hope, will appease
your palate. This time however, I have given it a bit of a twist. As you
know, our Goan, and the better part of Indian cuisine for that matter, can
be quite rich and calorie-laden, so for all my health conscious brothers and
sisters out there, I have included alternative lean ingredients at the end
of each recipe. My father, who lives with us, has high blood pressure and
borderline diabetes and hence I am always seeking ways of incorporating
healthy yet delicious meals into his diet. I hope you enjoy the following
recipe.
Here is a vegetarian dish which I was hesitant to try at first since some of
my family members are not real veggie fans, but they now love it so much so
that it has become a favorite on the Rodrigues menu! Besides, it is a good
way of incorporating healthy veggies into a delicious recipe. - Daisy
Rodrigues
Goan Succotash
Ingredients Step#1 Two third cup red split lentils(dhal) Half teaspoon ground turmeric 2 and a half cups water
Rinse lentils(dhal) and put in a large pan with turmeric and water. Sprinkle a little salt. Boil for about 10 minutes uncovered. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 to 15 or until lentils are soft. (keep an eye on this because the dish does not taste very good if the lentils get too mushy). Keep aside.
Ingredients Step #2 1 small eggplant(brinjal) - cut into small cubes 2 zucchinis - thick slices then cut slices in half 1 green or red bell pepper (chopped) 1 medium onion (chopped) 10 green beans(french beans)- cut into 1 inch pieces Two third cup vegetable or chicken stock Salt to taste
1-teaspoon cumin seeds Half-teaspoon mustard seeds (black or white) 2 dried red chilies One-third cup shredded coconut Quarter cup vegetable oil
Heat up oil in a large pan. Put in mustard seeds, then add cumin seeds.
After a minute add coconut & chilies. Cook for another minute, then add the
first seven ingredients in Step #2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and
simmer 10 to 15 minutes until the vegetables are just tender. Stir in the
lentils and any accumulated liquids and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
Serve over white rice. Yum!
Tip: To turn this recipe into a low-fat alternative, please reduce the oil measurement to 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons water. Also, do not include the coconut.
Have a great week everyone! ?
########################################################################## # Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts # # More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others # ##########################################################################
_________________________________________________________________
STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
##########################################################################
# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #
##########################################################################
