Though the medium of instruction was English, way back in 60/70's I remember the teachers explaining in Konkani. In the village schools it was mostly Konkani, and whoever knew a little bit of English was looked upon as smart child. Has this changed in time????
As for the children learning Konkani, its the script which they find difficult I am sure if the script is changed to Romi, then all the children will be interested. As a child I always hated Hindi,(am sure a lot many goans hated too) though I could talk fluently, but it was the script which was difficult. If the Language is made easier then am sure all will be interested to learn. Today what depresses the parents is " Amchi mai bhas zaun, amchi bhurgim fail zatat?" Eddie Verdes Jeddah (KSA) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Miguel Braganza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > The medium of instruction throughout my school days was English. As a > child/student, I was compelled to speak English in school[ by > The yougest child is in the fourth standard and is looking forward to the end of his misery[of > studying Konkani]. To him it is an oppressive language in an oppressive > script. It is not his Mai bhas because the word Mai is invariably associated > with 'mai mog' which he cannot find in what he is studying...or is compelled > to study. His mother tongue is English. > ########################################################################## # Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts # # More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others # ##########################################################################
