Reuters News Article
Spain says al Qaeda claims bomb blasts Sun 14 March, 2004 03:58 AM By Adrian Croft and Emma Ross-Thomas MADRID (Reuters) - A purported spokesman for al Qaeda has claimed responsibility in a videotaped statement for a wave of bomb attacks in Madrid that killed 200 people, overshadowing Spain's general elections. Hours earlier, Interior Minister Angel Acebes announced that five people, including some with possible links to Moroccan militants, had been arrested in the first breakthrough in the investigation of Thursday's near-simultaneous attacks on four commuter trains which also injured 1,500 people. If al Qaeda involvement is confirmed, it would be the first time the Islamic militant group has struck in the West since the attacks on New York and Washington on September 11, 2001. Under outgoing Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar, Spain has been a close ally of the United States, firmly supporting U.S. policy on Iraq and sending 1,300 troops there after the war. The claim of responsibility came in the videotape recovered by Spanish police from a waste paper bin on the outskirts of Madrid after a television station received a call saying the tape was there. On the tape, a man speaking in Moroccan-accented Arabic says al Qaeda launched the attacks in retaliation for Spanish cooperation with the United States and its allies. "If you don't stop your injustices, more blood will flow and these attacks are very little compared with what may happen with what you call terrorism," the man said, according to a Spanish transcript provided by the Interior Ministry on Sunday. The statement referred specifically to Iraq and Afghanistan, both countries where Spain has sent troops to keep the peace. MILITARY SPOKESMAN The man noted that the Madrid blasts came exactly two-and-a-half years after the September 11 attacks. "He makes the statement in the name of someone claiming to be the military spokesman of al Qaeda in Europe, Abu Dujan al Afgani," Acebes told a news conference. Acebes said the name was not known to intelligence services and that investigators were examining the tape's authenticity. The Interior Ministry did not release the video itself. Acebes said the man speaking on it wore Arab dress and had his face uncovered. At an earlier news conference Acebes said investigators had found no evidence of suicide bombers. The video was released after thousands of anti-government protesters took to the streets across Spain on Saturday night demanding to know "the truth" behind the rail bombs, denouncing the ruling Popular Party (PP), and shouting slogans like "Don't Manipulate Our Dead!" The latest developments call into question the Spanish government's initial insistence that armed Basque separatist group ETA was the prime suspect behind the bombs. Acebes said on Saturday evening both lines of investigation remained open. Al Qaeda's purported involvement throws uncertainty into Spain's election on Sunday when 32.6 million people have the right to vote. Polls open at 8:00 a.m.. Opinion polls taken before Thursday's bombings had all indicated that the ruling centre-right PP would win most votes, but not necessarily retain its absolute majority. UNCERTAIN IMPACT ON ELECTION Aznar, in power since 1996, is not seeking re-election. His hand-picked heir, former deputy prime minister Mariano Rajoy, is pitted against Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, leader of the main opposition Socialist party. Political analysts said the PP stood to win votes if the culprits were ETA, because it had campaigned on its hardline stance against the armed Basque group. The effect of al Qaeda's purported involvement is more uncertain because voters might see the attacks as the price for the government's domestically unpopular support of the Iraq war. A proven al Qaeda link would also have huge global security implications. "The third front has been opened. We've had America. We've had Western interests in the Third World, and now we've had Europe," said Tim Ripley, research associate at Centre of Defence and International Security Studies, University of Lancaster in Britain. Acebes announced on Saturday that Spanish authorities had arrested three Moroccans and two Indians, possibly with ties to Moroccan militants, in connection with the bombings. An Arabic language audio tape, together with detonators, was found on Thursday in a van parked near the Alcala de Henares station where three of the four bombed trains originated. Private radio station Cadena Ser, quoting sources close to the investigation, said the audio tape probably came from Egypt. There was no official confirmation. Investigators believe mobile phones were used to detonate 10 bombs hidden in backpacks on the four trains. Those arrested on Saturday were suspected of being involved in the sale and falsification of a mobile phone and SIM card found in an unexploded bomb on one of the trains, Acebes said. More than 5,000 people protested outside PP headquarters in Madrid for hours on Saturday evening, demanding the government release more information on who was behind the attacks. In Spain's second city Barcelona, thousands took to the streets or their balconies, banging pots. Protests were held in a number of other cities. Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba, a senior Socialist party official, blasted the government in a televised address. "The Spanish people deserve a government that does not lie to them," he said. Government ministers denied suggestions they might be focusing on ETA, not al Qaeda, for internal political gain. Rajoy denounced the demonstrations on Saturday evening, saying unnamed political parties were behind them, and complained to the central election council. Cadena Ser reported that after a three-hour meeting the election watchdog found that the demonstration contravened electoral rules. It was unclear what action would be taken. A spokesman earlier said the elections would not be postponed. ########################################################################## # Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts # # More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others # ##########################################################################
