From: "Gilbert Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Reply-To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [Goanet]Church overTemple Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:27:25 -0500
Alfred de Tavares: Yes, many churches and chapels in Goa occupy erstwhile Hindu temples are built on the sites of those demolished. It was not a question of lack of real estate but rather of supremacy: Psycologically, nothing surmounts to a greater degree the paramountcy of the latest comer/invader than their God/gods lording it over those that the subjugated peoples deified.
For a certainity, the Igreja da Nossa Senhora dos Milagres, Mapu�a and the Igreja do Espirito Santo, Margao took over the existing temples. The bell tower of the Milagres proves that. In Loutulim, our ancestral Capela da N. S. dos Milagres, in Vanxem, is a converted temple. Mario Cabral e Sa, among others, will have many more examples.
Gilbert Lawrence: You have certainly provide some specific names and details that leads to be believe you know what you are writing.
I certainly have Dr Lawrence, though I have specified a bare few. Belief, in this case, is not involved. History -- hardcore historical (as apart from hysterical) facts -- indeed, is.
But you also wrote very confidently and with certainity, that Goan men were raped en-mass by wine-drunk Bacchus and his many maidens when they invaded Goa from Greece. This was all pre-Alexander the Great. No such account exists of this account of your post/story.
I din't say so ... and, I still don't. Bards, of homeric nature, do. Mythologists bear me out.
I will not ganymede for you, though you demand such service as justifying your fitfull convictions.
Least said, look up Robert Graves' recent version on bacchic ventures and adventures. I am confident only thenceforth.
And, I neither implied, nor contended, that Goans, such as they then were, were either included or excluded, in the maddened maneiad indo-peninsular inverted rape.
Whether you prefer to be issue of the later, alexandrian (iskandrian), orgy you are welcome to your choice.
Please, in future, spare me pseudo-erudition. I, since Athens-based peers of erstwhile, am quite inured to it.
I leave to Nair, and his breast/boob-befuddled brains, to proof-read my message.
Alfred de Tavares, Stockholm, 2004-03-23, 0046-8-759 6214
_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
##########################################################################
# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #
##########################################################################
