Re Fredrick's ".with a so-far unraised 'campaign for demolishing of Christian churches' (which AFAIK first came up in a tongue-in-cheek posting by Godfrey JI Gonsalves). Correct me if I'm wrong."

I do not remember if Godfrey raised the issue. However, the issue was raised more than two weeks ago, and to my specific question of whether it was actually raised by the BJP today, people have gone in all directions. If it was a toungue-in-cheek posting, it would have been nice if Godfrey had said so when I first raised the issue. And if Fredrick felt it was a tongure-in-cheek posting, it would have been nice if he had said at the very beginnning.

If this had happened, Gilbert would have no necessity to say: "The main message being Hindus can progress without needing a crutch of another community or religion."

In this context, Almeida's posting of the article "Excavating Hindutva" would have become redundant.

But having posted the article, let me deal with a few issues. The court asked for excavation at the site in Ayodhya precisely because there were claims that there was a temple destroyed there, and others were saying that this is not historically true. No one is claiming that the Rashtrapati Bhavan occupies a structure which was destroyed for the purpose of building the present structure. So, bringing in this issue with that of Ayodhya is trivalising what is quite a serious issue.

The author of the article says, amongst other things, that one of the gifts of the British colonialists is the architecture of a bungalow. This is absurd. The ability of our ancestors to construct appropriate places of dwelling is well established. I am sure they did not need the British to teach them.

Of course, cross fertilisation of ideas is a feature of all vibrant civilisations. While the British may have taught us somethings, they also learnt from their interaction with the Indians. And this can be said of all civilisations.

However, what was the state of our country prior to the British rule has been well documented by them. One Dharampal has studied the documents, and I understand that he has brought them out in a five-volume publication. I also understand that one of the publishers of this set is The Other Press (I hope I have the name right for the publication house set up by Claude Alvares).

People say that the British gave us the railways. In a technical sense yes. But it makes an assumption that if were not free we would not have built them ourselves. Also we should remember that the British did not give us a grant - they used our money to do something whose primary objective was for their own benefit, and the benefit for the Indians was incidental.

Anyway, in an earlier posting I had said that Hindus in Goa have accepted the fact that their temples were destroyed and churches built on at least some of them. Also, not all churches are built on such sites. But let us not raise a bogey, tongue-in-cheek or any other mode, that some organisations want to reclaim the sites.

Sachin Phadte.

_________________________________________________________________
Get an �IndianOil Citibank ATM/Debit Card. http://go.msnserver.com/IN/45534.asp Save upto 5% on your fuel expenses.



##########################################################################
# Send submissions for Goanet to [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # PLEASE remember to stay on-topic (related to Goa), and avoid top-posts #
# More details on Goanet at http://joingoanet.shorturl.com/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #
##########################################################################

Reply via email to