# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]          #
# Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/    #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #

Dear Netters,

Today I have received a barrage of calls requesting me to sue the owners and
hosts  of the web site apparently launched  Ribandar Parish Priest  Fr.
Newton Rodrigues's henchmen for  having made defamatory and unfounded
allegations against me.

My answer is very clear. I will not. I have better things to do with
whatever time I have after complying with the varied tasks my conscience
directs me. I have even at times to skip the obligation of confession as a
Roman Catholic. But then where is the time to sin.

It is however surprising that the authors and promoters of this web site
which has been obviously orchestrated and blessed  by Rev. Fr. Newton
Rodrigues have not dared and shown the spine to come out with their true
identity.

The hatchers of the website will get no where by highlighting me with
fabricated and malicious facts.  It would have been nice if they had the
courage, spiritual power and guidance to carry Fr. Newton Rodrigues's
version of the whole molestation episode. This they will not. Silence is
golden.  For the reasons known to all.

Please check it. The owner of this Fr. Newton Rodrigues's website is one
Sunil Volvoikar from Girgaum - Bombay and his telephone no 022- 243543322
does not exist. Why do not these so called chums of the Rev. Newton
Rodrigues  who feel that the priest has done nothing wrong by molesting a
minor girl have the audacity to put in their true names. The fictiticious
and elusive so called Maria Rodrigues continues to flirt in the very
convenient cyber world. Will she be gracious enough to at least disclose her
true identity to the Goanet Admin team.

Friends, I know the Catholic church in Goa is a powerful institution. But
this could not silence me when I was informed that a young 13 year old of my
locality was molested. What would you have done if your own daughter or
niece was sexually traumatized.  Forget the Parish priest,  I would have
pursued the case even if the Prime Minister of India was accused of such a
mind boggling crime. It was my personal decision to raise the issue with the
Archbishop of Goa  whom I met on Aug 11 and have still to year about the
outcome of his investigations which he had assured to be very prompt and
swift. May be he is the process of recruiting a new set of worthy priests to
fill the odd and awkward vacuum that would be created if he chose to flush
those unworthy clergy.

Last week I met a Ribandar friend Mr. Raymond Araujo who had come down from
Kuwait to attend his father's funeral. Already sorrow stricken Raymond,
narrated to me in tears that last year when he approached Fr Newton
Rodrigues  for the arrangements of his nuptials the priest demanded a ransom
of Rs 15, 000/-.  Raymond was very firm. He said, Father Ribandar is my
Church and I will donate what I can and I feel I should.

Raymond's plight did not surprise me. Fr. Newton Rodrigues has never given
me a receipt for any of the donations he sought from me over the last four
years.

May be he  had the foresight to accumulate the wealth to face and pay for
the molestation charge that he was destined for.

Aires Rodrigues
Ribandar