# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]          #
# Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/    #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2004 08:42:48 PM ]
PANAJI: A day after the Centre announced Goa as the
official venue for the International Film Festival
this year, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Saturday
said this year's event would aim to look beyond films
and would also tap the business potentials.

"We aim to look beyond just films this year, including
a film bazaar for any business opportunities that can
be tapped and several other such events. Now that the
Centre has formally declared Goa as the venue, all
those who doubted it can now stop their tongues from
wagging," Parrikar said.

"We were never in any doubt that whether the festival
would take place here. We were aware that the delay in
the announcement was due to the election Code of
Conduct during the by-poll to the Poinguinim seat," he
said.

Elaborating on his government's plans for IFFI, the
Chief Minister said "we plan to set up plasma screens
all over the state so that Goans can also be included
in on the festival and be able to watch some of them.
We have also hired an event management company to
carry out certain aspects of planning and execution in
various events."

While the total budget for the festival alone was Rs
25 crore, Parrikar said other costs like roads,
sprucing up of infrastructure would run into excess of
Rs 50 crore.

"We have asked for plan assistance from the Centre,
but that proposal is still in the pipeline. Even if we
don't get any funds from the Centre, we have the
financial capability to pay for the event from our own
pocket," he added.

source:Economic times

Posted by Lawrie D'souza

=====