# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] # # Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/ # # Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others #

In response to this from me : i have NO CLUE why antonio wants the present archbishop of goa to answer why catholicism allowed the caste system to continue. Is it (that) this archbishop who allowed it ?

A.C. Menezes wrote on Thu Oct 21 11:33:19 2004

1. < there is a strong belief among !others! that, had the patriarch/archbishop office ( which has been exercing authority for the last 490 years) dealt firmly with the satanic arrogance of the bamon padri,perhaps casteism would not have so prevalent among the catholics of goa.>

2. (before 19th Century) < only boys coming from the bamon families were allowed to become priests>

3. <(the chhaddi boy most probably entered the portals of the seminary sometime during the 19th century )>.

4. < secondly,confrarias, the religious associations, based on caste system were actively encouraged in each and every church in goa.>

5. <the present archbishop is a thorough gentleman, but his office has,
definitely, a lot of explaining to do.>

Dear Antoniobab

I am always delighted to respond to a Goan whose name I have as my middle name.

Having said that, I must point out that Your reply has NOT answered why YOU EXPECT THIS Archbishop of Goa to answer for the commisions or ommisions of his predecessors.

Review the actions ...YES but NOT .....ANSWER for others. One only answers for one's own actions, inactions or fence-sitting.

Having said that, please allow me to look at the points in your post.

Please understand that I utterly and absolutely condemn the racist Caste System of India. I also believe that ANYONE who believes in it and practises it - is NOT a Catholic but a Hindu - FULL STOP!

re#1, 2, 4 & 5: That was an unfortunate and also unCatholic allowance made to Goa Brahmins. The Church might as well have struck a deal with the Devil.

re#3: I hope ALL boys entering the Seminary before the 19th century were with Chaddis. If NOT, I will assign the origin of this Molestation scandal to pre-19th Century Goa.

sincerely

jose

please visit "NEW" on The Goan Forum at http://www.colaco.net

Recommended Goa related sites