# If Goanet stops reaching you, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]          #
# Want to check the archives? http://www.goanet.org/pipermail/goanet/    #
# Please keep your discussion/tone polite, to reflect respect to others  #

25--10-04

Dear Friend,

There are things that we like, maybe watching football or athletics, that we
wish to witness in person. Somehow, reading about it, or watching it on TV,
is different from actually being there at the event. Similarly, while we
like reading about our favourite person or hero, if we are given the
opportunity to see them and meet them face to face, it make a whole lot of a
difference. Nothing can replace a face to face experience. What about God?
Are we satisfied with reading about God or hearing about him, or do we long
to experience him and see him face to face? May His word enkindle the desire
to encounter Him!  -Have a God-filled weekend! Fr. Jude

Sunday Reflections: Thirty First Sunday of the Year   Hurry, I want to come
to you!  31-10-04

Readings: Wisdom 11: 22-12:2;  2 Thessalonians 1: 11-2:2; Luke 19: 1-10;

Today's first reading is from the Book of Wisdom, written about a century
before Christ at Alexandria in Egypt, speaks to us about the all-powerful
God, who is creator of the universe, yet is interested in all and is
merciful towards all. He is interested in all of his creation and everything
and everyone, no matter how small, is precious in his eyes. If we exist, it
is because he continues to uphold us every moment of our life.

All that he has created is good for he does not create junk. Even when we
sin he does not abandon us but is interested in us and gently corrects us
and brings us back to Him. Our God is a God of small people! Our response to
this almighty all powerful God, who is interested in us, is to praise and
bless Him. In the words of the response psalm we can only say: "I will bless
your name for evermore, O God my King!

        When Calvin Murphy played professional football for the Houston
        Rockets of NBA, he was one of the smallest players of the league at
        5'9". And yet he ranks 17th in the all-time scoring list; is near
        the top in the career Free Throw shooting percentage and holds the
        record for consecutive successful Free Throws. In a game dominated
        by 7-foot giants, the diminutive Calvin Murphy stood tall with his
        achievements and records. Another remarkable man of short stature is
        featured in today's gospel, Zacchaeus. Of all the stories in the
        bible his story is not only one of the most charming, but also one
        of the most significant. Albert Cylwicki in 'His word resounds'

The first half of the second reading from the letter to the Thessalonians is
a prayer of thanksgiving for keeping them faithful and reminding them that
Christians should pray and live in a way worthy of their calling. Only by
faith will the Thessalonians overcome all their afflictions and obstacles
that come their way. The Thessalonians believed that the coming of the Lord
was eminent. Some suggested that they enjoy whatever time was left while
others warned them to live in fear. This letter encouraged the frightened
Christians to leave the end in the hands of God and carry on with their
life.

In today's Gospel from Luke, Jesus is on his way to Jerusalem and there are
crowds of people following him.  Zacchaeus the tax collector who hears of
Jesus coming decides to join the crowd. Zacchaeus' decision was a risky one.
He was not liked by the crowd because tax-collectors were hated and disliked
by all. Perhaps Zacchaeus lived all by himself because even his family would
have suffered because of his reputation. He was wealthy with ill-gotten
wealth but he was lonely and unhappy. Now he hears of Jesus and decided to
risk the crowds in his desire to see Jesus.

We are told that he was small in stature and besides disliking him the crowd
blocked his view of Jesus. Zacchaeus risks still more by scrambling up a
tree like a child to see Jesus. Perhaps the crowd poked fun at this short
man perched on a branch, they ridiculed him. But Jesus is not laughing at
him, he is drawn to him. God is more eager to come to us than we are keen to
meet him. His coming can surprise us.

Film 'Regarding Henry'

Henry Turner is a successful lawyer with a reputation for taking no
prisoners. He owns a fine apartment and has an attractive wife, Sarah and
daughter Rachael. He has everything he wants and is arrogant and unfeeling.
Late one evening, Henry goes to the corner store to buy cigarettes. He walks
in on a robbery in progress and is shot twice, in the clavicle and in the
forehead. When he gains consciousness, he cannot remember anything. He
transfers from the hospital to a rehab centre. He has sessions to help him
regain his memory and rediscover who he is. It is a bewildering experience
for him. The accident has made him similar to a child, and after serving
several months, he reluctantly comes home. What emerges is that his life
before the shooting was one of external success, hiding a great deal of
internal turmoil. As time and therapy progress, Henry regains his memory. He
realizes what it means to be a human being as he learns how to care for
others. The challenge for him is to consciously choose to remake his life.
-Just as Zacchaeus unexpectedly discovered Jesus and experienced conversion,
Henry Turner was unexpected shot and his life put on hold so that he could
discover his true self and change his life. Regarding Henry may be seen as a
conversion story, a kind of parallel to the experience of Zacchaeus in the
sycamore tree. Peter Malone in 'Lights Camera.faith!'

Jesus notices the effort that Zacchaeus has made and comes to him and calls
him by name. "Zacchaeus come down." Zacchaeus can't believe his ears. Jesus
has called him by name. But that is not all, Jesus wants to come to
Zacchaeus's house. "Hurry, I must stay at your house today." Zacchaeus is so
excited he slips down the tree and is overcome with joy and delightedly
leads Jesus to his home. The crowd, in the meanwhile, is angry and
disappointed with Jesus for going to the house of a sinner. How dare he go
to the house of a noted law-break and cheat? This is not right. Sinners need
to be punished and shown their place. This Jesus is at home with sinners and
allows them to come to him.

        But Zacchaeus hearing the grumbling of the crowd is not put off. He
        is so touched by Jesus' visit to his home that he decides to change.
        Money, for which he had slaved all his life, in no more important to
        him. He is ready to give four-fold to all whom he had cheated. He is
        ready to give half his property to the poor. Jesus in turn is
        touched by the conversion of Zacchaeus and promises the blessing of
        God not only for Zacchaeus but for his entire family. "Today,
        salvation has come to this house, for this man too is a son of
        Abraham; for the Son of Man has come to seek out and save what was
        lost." We need to note that Jesus does not put down any conditions
        before going to Zacchaeus' house. He does not demand his conversion.
        The acceptance of Jesus brings about change and conversion in
        Zacchaeus.

'This is your life'

It was the time of the European Championships, I was befriending a man who
was terminally ill with cancer at the time. A totally committed football
supporter, he watched every single game. I had some work to do down in the
country, and when I returned the Championships were over, Dennis was very
low with no interest in anything. He knew he was dying, and he was prepared
to speak about it. One day I suggested a possibility of what might happen at
the very moment of death, when we came face to face with Jesus. Jesus would
sit us down in front of a big screen, just like the ones that became so
popular for watching the football games that summer. He would put on a video
called 'This is your life.' He pulls over a chair and sits besides you. The
first part of the video is simple enough, but as it gets on with your life,
you become very uncomfortable, because you are just not sure just what's
going to appear next! It takes some time before your become aware of
something else that is happening. Blanks begin to appear, some quite
frequent, and some quite long. You glance sideways at Jesus, but he is not
looking at you, so you cannot get his attention to ask him any questions. It
is almost at the end of the tape that you guess for yourself what is
happening. Every time you did something wrong and admitted it, he presses
the erase button and it is wiped clean. Even if you ask him now he will not
remember. You then settle back in your chair and relax, and realize that you
are in the presence of your Saviour, who came to save you, not to condemn
you. -- Jack McArdle in 'And that's the Gospel truth!'

May we discover how merciful and kind God is!

Fr. Jude Botelho
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PS. The stories, incidents and anecdotes used in the reflections have been
collected over the years from books as well as from sources over the net and
from e-mails received. Every effort is made to acknowledge authors whenever
possible. If you send in stories or illustrations I would be grateful if you
could quote the source as well so that they can be acknowledged if used in
these reflections.  These reflections are also available on my website:
www.netforlife.net Thank you!